Clinical Research Resources
UMB faculty needing the non-ICTR Core services below may be eligible for support through the ICTR Voucher (micro grant) Program.
General Clinical Research Center (GCRC): Located in the University of Maryland Medical Center (UMMC), 22 S. Greene St., 10th-floor C and D wings, the GCRC is supported by the UM School of Medicine and UMMC. The GCRC is available to all UMB researchers as a fee-for-service and supports the full spectrum of patient-oriented research, including pilot studies that may lead to peer-reviewed clinical research. Services available include:
- Facilities for inpatient* and outpatient data collection
- Physical examination and monitoring
- 24-hour nursing care
- Phlebotomy and specimen processing*
- Subject teaching
- Investigational drug administration
- Special testing/procedures*
- Research subject advocate (RSA)
*Does not include University of Maryland Medical System (UMMS) or University of Maryland Faculty Physicians, Inc. (FPI) services, such as overnight admission fees, laboratory processing, X-rays, echocardiograms, MRIs, etc. If your project requires these services, please contact the Center for Clinical Trials and Corporate Contracts (CCT) at 410-706-1932.
BIORESCO (BIOmedical REsearch Supply COre): Your ONE-STOP SHOP for all lab supplies and small equipment. Some of the advantages of using BIORESCO are:
- Never pay list price again. All vendors offer the lowest prices on this campus.
- Pay no shipping/handling charges or hazardous and dry-ice charges (average cost $30-$40).
- Access more than 40 vendors and over 5000 "on-site" items.
- Access about 2 million products on the website.
- Receive free campuswide delivery.
- Purchase with a minimum amount of paperwork and inconvenience. Consolidate your purchasing.
SAVE TIME AND MONEY by contacting BIORESO first before committing to outside vendors.
The Center for Innovative Biomedical Resources (CIBR) is the administrative hub for School of Medicine Cores available to all faculty from all UMB schools. The site also lists Core services officed by other schools such as the School of Pharmacy and the School of Denistry. Interdisiplinary collaborations lead to scientific achievement and help researchers get the most of their research funds. Below is a list of Cores by Category. Visit CIBR for a complete list of campus resources as well as important CIBR news and events.
Mid-Atlantic Nutrition Obesity Research Center (NORC): The Mid-Atlantic Nutrition Obesity Research Center (NORC) is a center funded by the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK) since 2005. NORC’s mission is to foster multidisciplinary research approaches to understand the impact of nutrition on risk for chronic disease and translate this knowledge into effective clinical treatments and prevention efforts. With the obesity epidemic, associated co-morbidities now detract from the quality of life for the majority of Americans and represent a major burden to our health care system. Our NORC provides core laboratories, a pilot and feasibility program, and enrichment activities that enhance our members' research and education efforts.
Other Research Support Services
UMB Research: A great place for information about:
- Sponsored Programs Administration
- Sponsored Projects Accounting and Compliance
- Kuali Coeus
- Clinical Trials and Corporate Contracts
- CICERO Login
- Conflict of Interest
- Environmental Health and Safety
- Export Compliance
- Effort Reporting
- Filing an Invention Disclosure
- Policies and Procedures
- Technology Transfer/UM Ventures
- UM BioPark