- Academic Affairs
- Accountability and Compliance
- Administration and Finance
- Center for Health and Homeland Security
- Center for Information Technology Services
- Communications and Public Affairs
- Community Engagement
- Government Affairs
- Human Resource Services
- Office of Philanthropy
- Operations and Planning
- Police and Public Safety
- President's Office
- Research and Development
- University Counsel
UMB Guidelines for Breastfeeding Mothers
The University of Maryland, Baltimore provides lactation rooms for all women affiliated with the University, as well as visitors, to support them in their return to work or school. Each room offers a clean, secure, and user-friendly environment for women who need to express breast milk during their time on campus.
Follow the steps listed below:
- Request access: Schedule an appointment to meet with Lactation Liaison/Administrative Liaison to request access to the lactation room. Lactation room use is on a first-come, first-served basis; however, if you find that you have conflicts with rooms being occupied when you need to use them, please contact the Lactation Liaison.
- Obtain breast pump attachments: If the lactation room is equipped with a breastfeeding pump, you will need to bring your own kit. Personal use kits that are compatible with a multiple-user double breast pump will need to be provided by the user. Do not leave your personal pump in the rooms. We are not responsible for securing personal items left in the rooms against theft or use by others.
- Plan for storage/cooling: If the room is equipped with a refrigerator, you are able store your breast milk if necessary. You must label and date the milk. The University is not responsible for the security or integrity of breast milk stored in or outside of the lactation room refrigerator. **Please note: Milk will be thrown out after one week.
- Usage: Please sign in and out each time you use a lactation room and turn off lights upon exiting.
Cleaning and Sanitization
All lactation room users are expected to clean up after each use of a room, especially when using the on-site breast pump. This is not only out of respect for the next user, but also to prevent contamination and illness transmission. Each user should allow enough time within a visit to clean the pump equipment of breast milk spills and dispose of trash properly. Antibacterial sprays/wipes and paper towels are provided for cleaning.
Upon accessing the room, lock the door. Do not prop the door open at any time.
If the room has an access code, please respect the privacy of all lactation room users by not sharing the access code.
The University of Maryland, Baltimore is the founding campus of the University System of Maryland.
620 W. Lexington St., Baltimore, MD 21201 | 410-706-3100
© 2017-2018 University of Maryland, Baltimore. All rights reserved.