- Academic Affairs
- Accountability and Compliance
- Administration and Finance
- Center for Health and Homeland Security
- Center for Information Technology Services
- Communications and Public Affairs
- Community Engagement
- Government Affairs
- Human Resource Services
- Office of Philanthropy
- Operations and Planning
- Police and Public Safety
- President's Office
- Research and Development
- University Counsel
URecFit policies were created to minimize risk and contribute to an enjoyable experience for all users as well as to ensure fair and consistent treatment of all users. They are by no means exhaustive. The URecFit staff reserves the right to stop behavior deemed unsafe or inappropriate.
- Students, members, and visitors must enter by way of one of the two passenger elevators. If there is an issue with both passenger elevators, URecFit staff will work with SMC Campus Center security to allow access via a designated stairwell.
- All individuals are required to show their University One Card or other government-issued photo ID for admittance.
- Student, members, and visitors are encouraged to leave by way of one of the two passenger elevators or from the fourth floor via Stairwell No. 3 (at bottom of ramp from door leading to fitness floor). Please note that once you exit into a stairwell, you will not have access back into URecFit.
- All users of URecFit must exit the facility at closing. Please adjust your activity to be out of the facility by closing time.
- In accordance with the University’s tobacco-free policy, the use of any tobacco product is prohibited in and around the recreation and fitness centers.
- In accordance with the University's Non-Discrimination Policy, anyone can use the restroom or locker room that corresponds to their gender identity.
- Food is not permitted in the pool, fifth-floor fitness center, or the Pratt Gym, unless approved through a facility rental reservation.
- Non-marking athletic shoes must be worn in all activity areas. Examples of prohibited shoes include, but are not limited to, cleats, sandals, and stocking feet. Group exercise classes may obtain prior approval from the Assistant Director of Fitness Programs to have bare feet in activity areas.
- Shirts must be worn at all times in all public areas.
- Scrubs and lab coats are not permitted in any activity areas.
- Mopeds, bicycles, and electric scooters are not allowed inside the facilities.
- Skateboards, roller skates, rollerblades, and non-electric scooters are not allowed to be operated in the facilities under any circumstances.
- Chewing gum or spitting is not permitted in the activity areas.
- Pets, with the exception of service animals, are not permitted.
- Electronic devices (phones, tablets, computers, cameras, etc.) are not allowed to be out in the locker rooms and restrooms.
- Disorderly conduct, abuse of the facility, equipment, or staff, and/or disregard for the department’s policies will result in immediate dismissal from the facility. Additional sanctions may include: disciplinary action, reimbursement for damages, and/or suspension from the facilities and programs.
- A user asked to leave by the staff will not be refunded any paid charges.
- Anyone under the age of 18 is considered a minor.
- Youth are only allowed in the facility for tours and for facility rental reservations.
- Youth may tour URecFit with their guardian if a URecFit staff member accompanies them. Guardians must present a University One Card or a valid government-issued ID and sign the youth in and out with a URecFit staff member at the fourth-floor business desk.
- Please check facility rental policies for youth involved in a facility rental.
The facility use agreement should be completed and returned a minimum of 10 weekdays before the reservation request date.
All individuals are required to present their University One Card or other government-issued photo ID for admittance.
Everyone involved in the reservation must complete and sign a URecFit waiver.
If requested, age of individual must be able to be confirmed by URecFit staff.
The on-site coordinator must be on-site and ensure all URecFit rules and policies as well as UMB, local, state, and federal laws are being adhered to.
Non-University-related reservation rates will be assessed at the requestor's URecFit membership status.
Not all equipment may be available for use in every rental space.
Any equipment or items requested the day of your event that were not requested and approved ahead of time may or may not be accommodated, and if accommodated, will result in the applicable fee.
No food and/or concessions are allowed unless requested and approved in advance. If food is involved, a housekeeping fee is automatically charged to the reservation.
No sort of gaming (example: 50/50 drawing, selling scratch-offs, selling raffle tickets) is permitted.
No music or audio amplification is allowed unless requested and approved in advance.
Each rental/reservation group is responsible for cleaning the rental area after their event or a cleaning fee will be assessed.
Reservations that are outside of URecFit's regular operating hours or run over the approved reservation time will incur an additional fee.
Dependent upon the activity and participant numbers, URecFit may assign designated event staff to the event. An hourly rate will be charged to the reserving group for each of these staff members.
Events deemed as high-risk or high-occupancy events may be required to have security personnel. Only UMB police or other campus-approved personnel may be used to satisfy security requirement. The cost of security personnel will be charged to the reserving group.
Spectators are allowed, but they must sign a waiver at the time of entry into the facility.
- In addition to the above, all URecFit facility policies, as well as UMB, local, state. and federal laws must be adhered to by everyone within the reservation group (including spectators) at all times. If, for any reason, a group does not abide by the reservation and facility policies, its event may be ended early or canceled. In the event of such an occurrence, no refund will be given.
- Reservations that include minors must provide supervision to all youth while they are in the facility and need to provide supervision consistent with the guidelines below:
- No youth is allowed access to URecFit until the on-site coordinator has arrived.
- The on-site coordinator is responsible for completing URecFit's youth waiver form for all youth attending the reservation.
- All facility rental groups with youth must have a minimum of two adult supervisors. If the reservation has more than 20 participants, additional adult supervisors will be required at a minimum ratio of 10:1 (participants to supervisors).
- Minimum non-swimmer to counselor/supervisor ratio is 5:1
- All pool reservations require a minimum of three supervisors (one male, one female, and a third of any gender). However, pool reservations may require more supervision based on number, age, and swim level of minors in group.
- The most restrictive supervision ratio must be followed (example: you have 25 youth in your group; all are non-swimmers; you must provide a minimum of five supervisors if you wish to have all youth in the pool).
- All youth swimmers under the age of 18 must complete a swim test to swim without a lifejacket.
- Swimmers who decline to take a swim test also are considered non-swimmers.
- Youth under 7 years of age and/or non-swimmers under 48 inches tall must have a responsible adult 18 years or older with them in the water and actively supervising when using the pool (within arm’s reach).
- Active supervision means being in arm's reach of non-swimmers under 7 years of age and/or under 48 inches tall (red band) or in pool area when youth are in the water and aware of location and condition of youth (blue and green bands).
- Youth who are incontinent or not toilet-trained need to wear swim diaper and rubber swim pants to enter pool.
- Exceptions to above policies will be addressed with an individualized memorandum of understanding completed between the University and requesting group.
General Pool Rules
No one may enter the water unless a certified lifeguard is on duty.
Showers are required before pool use.
Swimsuit or swim attire required. Allowed items include: one- or two-piece swimsuits, brief or long men’s swimsuit, board shorts, rash guard, swim diaper with rubber or vinyl pants, and religious swimsuits. Disallowed items include but are not limited to: sneakers, transparent clothing, bras, underwear, compression shorts, or revealing suits or clothing.
Clothing may be worn over a swimsuit if it is clean and family appropriate. Bulky cotton garments such as sweatpants will be prohibited because of safety concerns.
Swimwear should not have been worn for exercising immediately before pool use and must be of lightweight material suitable for swimwear such as Lycra, Spandex, or nylon.
Diving, running, and horseplay is prohibited.
Hanging off or doing pull-ups on the stainless-steel railings, lane lines, and other pool deck fixtures is prohibited.
Rafts, water wings, or water guns are not allowed in the pool unless previously authorized for a special event.
Food, chewing gum, and/or glass drinking bottles may not be brought onto the pool deck. Plastic water bottles are allowed.
Diaper Use Policy: When persons who are incontinent or when non-toilet trained children use the URecFit Aquatic Facility, the following guidelines apply:
A clean, close-fitting diaper with a plastic outer covering that has elastic at the waist and leg openings must be worn. Disposable swim diapers are suitable but not required.
Vinyl or rubber pants that fit snugly around the waist and legs must be worn to cover the diaper.
Because swim diapers, or diapers of any kind, do not prevent fecal bacteria from entering the pool water, parents/caregivers must be diligent about promptly changing soiled diapers.
Diaper changing stations are located in men’s, women’s, and all-gender locker room facilities. Diaper changing should be done at these stations and not on the pool decks. Caregivers should wash their hands with soap and warm water after each diaper change.
A bathing suit must be worn over the diaper/rubber pants.
Children should be closely supervised by a parent or caregiver and diapers should be changed each time they become soiled. Adults who are incontinent also should carefully monitor themselves and change and shower as needed.
No person with a known case of diarrhea is to use the pool. Diarrhea can spread germs into the pool. Some pathogens (e.g., cryptosporidium) continue to be shed for up to two weeks after the end of diarrheal symptoms. During this time, persons who drink or swallow the pool water can become ill. Once diarrhea has ended, please wait two weeks before swimming.
- Denim jeans, khakis, scrubs, lab coats, work uniforms, swim attire, boots, sandals, open-toe shoes, or non-athletic attire is prohibited.
- Closed-toe and heeled shoes are required.
- Full-length shirts are required. Bare midriffs, sports bras, shirts with cut-outs, and low cut-off shirts are prohibited.
- Bags, coats, and athletic equipment are prohibited.
- Chalk of any kind is prohibited.
- Personal trainers not hired by URecFit may not provide personal training services.
- Dropping of dumbbells, weight plates, or weight stacks is prohibited.
- Patrons are required to re-rack weights to the proper area.
- All equipment is not permitted to be modified or used in a non-standard way.
- Patrons are to limit cardio workouts to 30 minutes when others are waiting.
- Patrons are asked to clean all equipment with provided spray and towels after each use.
- All group exercise classes, including water fitness, are free to UM students and current URecFit members.
- A person may reserve a class online at umaryland.edu/urecfit/fitness.
- Reservations can be made up to 24 hours before the class.
- All reservations are only held until 10 minutes before the start of the class before it may be forfeited to a walk-in participant but only if space is available.
- Check-in starts 30 minutes before each class, and you must check in in person on the fourth floor of the Campus Center with the GX class assistant.
- Online reservations will be guaranteed a wristband unless you do not arrive 10 minutes prior to the start of the class (bullet #4 above). Walk-ins will be given wristbands according to availability.
- Wristbands are required for each person in class to ensure that the classes are not filled beyond their capacity.
- No one will be admitted to class without a wristband.
- No one will be permitted into class 10 minutes after the scheduled start time due to safety concerns.
- Long-term lockers are available inside the locker rooms and on the fourth floor along the adjacent wall to Room 415. Stop by the business desk on the fourth floor if you are interested in a long-term locker.
- All non-long-term lockers are day-use only.
- Each night, after the facility is closed, any items found in a non-long-term locker will be removed (locks will be cut if needed) and put in the lost and found.
- Bags and large coats must be secured in a locker.
- Food and gum are not allowed in the Pratt Gymnasium. Drinks must be in a non-glass bottle with a sealable cap.
- Modifying any piece of equipment or using it in a non-standard way is prohibited. Patrons who destroy or abuse equipment are subject to pay a replacement fee.
- Any equipment needing to be moved or adjusted must be done by URecFit Staff.
- Nets will not be set up within 30 minutes of closing.
- Patrons are not permitted to throw or play catch with footballs, baseballs, softballs, nerf balls, or balls of any kind in the gym.
- During non-designated indoor soccer times, patrons may use a soccer ball on the courts provided that it is for footwork drills only, and the ball is never to be kicked against the wall.
- Users must walk or run in the direction that the sign indicates.
- No more than two runners or walkers side by side.
- Spike shoes, turf shoes, boots, sandals, and open-toe shoes are not allowed.
- Wheeled devices are not allowed on the track, with the exception of ADA-designated assistance devices.
- No item should be thrown, dropped, or suspended from the track without prior approval of URecFit staff.
- User should wear bag gloves or wraps when using the speed or heavy bag.
- Please strike the apparatus with caution and use proper technique to reduce the chance of an injury.
- Be aware of your surroundings and other individuals when striking the units.
- Do not monopolize the equipment; please allow others to work in during a rest period.
- Please wipe off equipment when your workout is complete.
- Tampering, misusing, or abusing any of the equipment may result in immediate expulsion from URecFit and/or possible loss of membership.
- If any equipment is damaged, please notify URecFit staff.
- Only URecFit-supplied equipment is permitted to be attached to the heavy bag or speed bag wall units.
- The heavy bag cannot be utilized during a group exercise class or special events.
- Non-marking athletic shoes are required.
- Each player must be wearing proper athletic clothing while playing.
- Absolutely no food, drink, or spitting in the courts.
- Courts are only permitted for racquetball and squash. All other programs need prior approval from the Assistant Director of Sport Programs.
- Patrons are not permitted to move the back wall. All equipment adjustments must be made under the assistance and supervision of a URecFit team member.
- Reservations can be made the day of by calling 410-706-7528 or in person at the equipment desk.
- An individual must indicate their first name, phone number, and sport when reserving a court.
- Reservations are for one-hour time slots.
- All court users must check in at the control desk in the Pratt Gym within 10 minutes of their reservation time. If the reservation is not secured within 10 minutes, the reservation will be forfeited and the court will be open for reassignment.
- Courts will not be set up for walk-in reservations within 30 minutes of closing.
- Indoor soccer is permitted Friday evenings from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. when there are no special events in the gym or when pre-authorized by the Assistant Director of Sports Programs. Nets will not be set up without prior notification.
- Indoor soccer must be played with an indoor soccer ball or futsal ball and can only be set up on Basketball Court 2 (far court). (Staff note: Middle curtains must be down, backstops 3 and 4 must be up, and soccer goals must be out. Instructions on how to raise and lower them are on the wall by the keypad in the office.)
- Teams are limited to five players.
- The ball must not exceed the height of the wall mats.
- Goals are to be scored on the ground.
- Head-butting the ball is permitted if conducted in a controlled manner.
- There are no throw-ins. Out-of-bounds violations result in a kick-in from the sideline.
- Goalies cannot throw or kick the ball farther than halfcourt unless it touches a player or the floor on his/her side of the court first.
- Slide tackling, tripping, and pushing is not allowed.
- During non-designated indoor soccer times, patrons may use a soccer ball on the courts provided that it is for footwork drills only, and the ball is never to be kicked against the wall.
- Non-URecFit instructors, personal trainers, coaches, or teachers are not permitted to use the facility for private or group instruction.
URecFit has guidelines for posting information on the bulletin boards located on the fourth-floor locker rooms and Pratt Gym. We support the free flow of information and provide the boards for members of the University community to announce events and services that are of general and current interest.
Notices may only be posted on designated bulletin boards (fourth-floor locker rooms and Pratt Gym by racquetball courts). Notices will not be mounted to walls, doors, windows, or other surfaces. Notices will be posted according to the following guidelines:
- Notice must be emailed to email@example.com or hand-delivered to URecFit's fourth-floor business office. Upon approval, the notice will be date-stamped and placed on appropriate boards.
- Any notice not approved/stamped will be removed from the boards and discarded.
- All notices must be professional in appearance. Handwritten material will not be posted.
- Any notice that becomes unpresentable or defaced will be removed and discarded.
- Maximum size of notice is 8.5 inches by 11 inches. Minimum size is 5.5 inches by 4.25 inches.
- Notice must be from a member of the University community.
- The name of the sponsoring organization/person must be clearly indicated on the notice.
- Notice will be removed after the event has taken place or after 30 days, whichever comes first.
- If the board is crowded, URecFit reserves the right to select notices for events with the widest appeal.
- Notices for apartments, houses for rent, or roommates needed are not allowed and will not be approved for posting. Please post on the UM Community Classifieds.
- Notices for car pooling are not allowed and will not be approved for posting. For information pertaining to car pooling or ride sharing, please refer to UM Alternative Transporting.
- Notices may be bilingual as long as there is a comparable English translation on the notice.
- URecFit does not assume responsibility for materials that are damaged or stolen.
- Notices advocating fraud or unlawful actions or notices URecFit considers inappropriate are not permitted.
- Posting of a notice does not imply University of Maryland or URecFit endorsement.
URecFit will make every attempt to safeguard lost property and make it available to the rightful owner; however, we do not assume liability or responsibility for items lost, stolen, or unclaimed. If you believe your property has been stolen, please contact UMB Police by calling 410-706-6882 and inform the URecFit facility supervisor.
If you find an item, please turn it in to the URecFit business desk on the fourth floor of the SMC Campus Center.
- Items of personal nature (undergarments, toiletries, etc.) will be discarded immediately.
- Clothing and non-valuable items (water bottles, shoes, goggles, etc.) will be kept in a secure location for a minimum of two weeks and then donated to a 501(c)(3) charity.
- Valuables (IDs, electronics, credit cards, watches, etc.) will be kept in a secure location for a minimum of two weeks and then turned in to the University’s Police Department.
- One Cards should be turned in to the One Card office located on the lower level of the Campus Center. If the One Card office is closed, the IDs should be placed in the designated black mailbox next to the office door.
- When contacting the possible owner of a found item, URecFit Staff will inform the individual that the property will be held for two weeks.
- Anyone wishing to claim an item must appear in person, with a picture ID, and be able to identify the item (color, brand name, where the items was lost, playlists, etc.) as their property.
If you feel you have lost an item, please stop by the URecFit business desk on the fourth floor of the SMC Campus Center. If you have any questions regarding a lost or found item, please contact Cody Sizemore or call 410-706-5752.
The University of Maryland, Baltimore is the founding campus of the University System of Maryland.
620 W. Lexington St., Baltimore, MD 21201 | 410-706-3100
© 2017-2018 University of Maryland, Baltimore. All rights reserved.