- Academic Affairs
- Accountability and Compliance
- Administration and Finance
- Center for Health and Homeland Security
- Center for Information Technology Services
- Communications and Public Affairs
- Community Engagement
- Government Affairs
- Human Resource Services
- Office of Philanthropy
- Operations and Planning
- Police and Public Safety
- President's Office
- Research and Development
- University Counsel
Click the center of the cover to view the latest issue of Catalyst: A Campaign Newsletter From UMB.
Charitable Gift Annuity
Charitable Gift Annuity — Make a Gift, Receive Payments for Life
A gift annuity is an agreement between you and us. When a charitable gift annuity is in place, we agree to pay you fixed payments for your life (and/or the life of your chosen beneficiary). The amount of the annuity is based on the gift amount and age of the annuitant(s) at the time of the gift.
A gift annuity can be established with a modest contribution and provides a number of very attractive benefits. You can:
- Fund it with cash or marketable securities
- Qualify for an immediate income tax charitable deduction for the gift (subject to certain income limitations)
- Potentially spread out any capital gains tax liability
What's more, part of your annuity payment may be federal income tax-free for a certain number of years. As a donor, you can select the payment intervals (usually quarterly) and name the annuitant(s) — one or two persons.
Professionals and other highly compensated employees who frequently "max out" their annual retirement plan contributions because of restrictive rules and regulations may want to consider a deferred gift annuity strategy. Deferred gift annuities offer three important benefits:
- They can be used to supplement qualified retirement plan savings.
- You qualify for a current income tax deduction now during your high income years.
- You can postpone the start of annuity payments until later — usually after retirement begins.
Please note: Charitable gift annuities are provided through the University of Maryland Baltimore Foundation, Inc. Payments under such agreements are not protected or otherwise guaranteed by any government agency. Annuities are subject to regulation and may not be available in all states to all ages. Donors should always consult with their advisors before making a planned gift.