History

The University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB) Police Force traces our lineage back to 1948. During our early years, we were known as security officers. Our official designation was changed to police officers in 1975.

Initially, our jurisdiction extended only to University-owned buildings and grounds. In June 1984, we signed an agreement with the Baltimore Police Department that gave us concurrent jurisdiction within the University boundaries, including the streets and sidewalks.

In June 1993, because the campus was growing, we signed a new concurrent jurisdiction agreement with the Baltimore Police Department that encompasses our current campus. This agreement gives us the same authority and power as the Baltimore Police Department.

The UMB Police Force has 56 sworn officers who are supported by 78 security officers, seven police communication officers, and an administrative staff of 12. Newly appointed police officers undergo 750 hours of rigorous police training and a minimum of 18 hours of in-service training, which is mandated by the Maryland Police Training Commission

Our mission is to deliver quality crime control service that supports the University's mission of excellence in professional and graduate education, research, patient care, and public service.


Pine Street Police Station

The Pine Street Police Station was built in 1878 as the new Western District Police Station and housed the Baltimore Police Department. Still located at 214 N. Pine St., it is owned by the University of Maryland, Baltimore and is the UMB Police Force's home.                                                                                          

Community Outreach Police Station

Located on the south end of campus at 700 W. Pratt St., the Community Outreach Police Station serves as an additional physical location where our community can get general information.