What is surplus property?

Surplus property is property that is no longer needed or utilized and is owned by the University of Maryland, Baltimore. This web page is intended to assist departments with the proper procedures when disposing of capital asset surplus property. Capital asset property does not normally include items such as desks, tables, file cabinets or office furniture in general, unless the item has a capital asset tag attached. Surplus property does not include buildings, land, or any improvements to land.

If you are not certain if an item is a capital asset, please contact the Surplus Property Officer, Larry Butler, at ext. 6-6619 for additional instructions.

What are our objectives?

The objectives are to streamline the process of the disposal of surplus property and avoid the cost of unnecessary purchases and storage; to maintain a speedy and cost-effective method for the removal of surplus property from the owning department's premises; and to ensure the proper disposal of equipment and that the controls to do so are dependable and accountable.

What forms do I need to fill out?

The owning department will need to complete an Excess Property Declaration Form (EPDF) and forward it to the Surplus Property Officer, Larry Butler, Howard Hall, Room 021. Excess Property Declaration Form (EPDF).

Will the equipment be picked up?

Surplus property that is determined to be scrap will be removed by the Department of General Services and disposed of in an environmentally safe manner. The owning department will be contacted by the Department of General Services within five business days after receipt of the signed EPDF to schedule a pickup. An EPDF not possessing the appropriate  authorized signatures will be returned to the owning department. Items listed on the EPDF cannot be removed until authorized signatures are  provided. Because of environmental regulations, departments are not permitted  to dispose of any property unless authorized by the Surplus Property Officer.   

Is storage space available?

The Surplus Property Office has a minimal amount of storage space available. The  storage space will be used for items that have the potential of being  transferred to other University departments, sold, or donated. The Surplus Property Office will provide storage for this type of equipment on a case-by-case basis and only when sufficient storage space is available. 

Will the University transfer surplus property to other departments?

Surplus property may be transferred to other University departments. The transfer of  surplus equipment that is sensitive or a capital asset will require the owning department to prepare and submit a Capital Asset Change or Transfer Form (CACTF). The completed CACTF must be  forwarded to the Financial Services Quality Assurance Department, Saratoga Building, Room 02-131. Capital Equipment Transfer Form

What about donations of surplus property?

Donations are made to qualified nonprofit organizations. Requests for donations will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Surplus  property that is not transferred or sold will be available for donation. All inquiring nonprofit organizations must submit a written request for consideration on the organization's letterhead. The request must be sent to the University of Maryland, Baltimore Surplus Property Office, Attn: Larry Butler, 660 W. Redwood St. Room 021, Baltimore, MD, 21201.  When property becomes available, the Surplus  Property Officer will contact the requesting organizations in the order and date the request was received. Before receiving donations from the University, the nonprofit organization must complete a University Certification Statement

What happens to our capital asset and sensitive inventory?

When capital asset equipment is transferred, sold, donated, or scrapped, the owning department must complete an Excess Property Declaration/Capital Asset Deletion Form (CADF) or Capital Equipment Transfer Form (CACTF) and forward it to: Financial Services Quality Assurance Department, Saratoga Building, Room 02-131.   

Will the University offer property for sale?

When appropriate and available, the University of Maryland, Baltimore will offer property for sale using the Procurement Services eBid Board at http://www.umaryland.edu/procurement/ebid-board/

The University also may list available property on GovDeals. GovDeals is an online auction website that offers government property for sale. Individuals interested in bidding on property that is available for sale on GovDeals must register with GovDeals as a buyer and bid accordingly. 

Please note: All property is sold as is. Bidders are cautioned to review the terms and conditions for purchasing University property for sale on GovDeals. To view available UMB surplus Property, click on  the following link: http://www.govdeals.com/eas/advSearchResults.cfm?myseller=2047

Still not certain what to do?

Outstanding customer service is our goal and commitment to the University and the community.

The Surplus Property  Officer, Larry Butler, is available to help you to understand the process. The Surplus Property Office is dedicated to achieving the most efficient and cost-effective method of disposal for surplus property. The opportunity to assist you with completing the necessary forms is very much appreciated and welcomed. Larry Butler may be reached at 410-706-6619 or via email.

Thank you for your cooperation and dedication in helping us help you.