- Academic Affairs
- Accountability and Compliance
- Administration and Finance
- Center for Health and Homeland Security
- Center for Information Technology Services
- Communications and Public Affairs
- Community Engagement
- Government Affairs
- Human Resource Services
- Office of Philanthropy
- Operations and Planning
- UMB Police Department
- President's Office
- Research and Development
- University Counsel
Petition for Change in Classification for Tuition Purposes
The period to submit a residency petition for the Summer 2019 term has closed and the deadline has passed. The Office of the Registrar will begin accepting residency petitions for the Fall 2019 term on June 3, 2019.
The Petition for Change in Classification for Tuition Purposes is intended for use by:
- Students who seek a change in residency classification; or
- Those whose status cannot be determined from the information submitted on the initial Application for In-State Classification as part of the admissions process.
If, after reading the VIII-2.70 Policy on Student Classification for Admission and Tuition Purposes of the University System of Maryland, you feel that you have met the University's criteria, you should submit a Petition for Change in Classification for Tuition Purposes (form available at bottom of this page) and all supporting documentation to the Office of the Registrar in accordance with the dates indicated below.
Petition Submission Deadlines
|Submission Begin Date*||Deadline to Submit Petition|
|Spring 2019||Dec. 17, 2018||Jan. 28, 2019|
|Summer 2019||Apr. 15, 2019||May 28, 2019|
|Fall 2019||June 3, 2019||Aug. 26, 2019|
|Winter 2019||Nov. 11, 2019||Jan. 2, 2020|
*Please note that any petition and accompanying documentation will be returned to a student unprocessed if it is received prior to the applicable “Submission Begin Date” listed above.
Instructions for completing the Petition for Change in Classification for Tuition Purposes:
- First, review this checklist to help you prepare your petition.
- Complete all applicable fields. Failure to complete all applicable sections of the petition and submit all required documentation may result in a denial of in-state status.
- Dates should be entered using the MM-DD-YYYY format unless otherwise specified.
- Students filing a petition are required to submit certified copies of Maryland tax returns (if applicable). Click here for more information.
- Please be certain to include all supplemental documentation that is required.
- Your completed petition, signed and dated, should be mailed or personally delivered to the Office of the Registrar located in Suite 240 of the Health Sciences and Human Services Library at 601 W. Lombard St. Your petition will not be accepted in any electronic format. If you mail your petition, be sure to obtain delivery confirmation. Petitions must be postmarked on or prior to the deadline for the term you are submitting a petition.
- The review of the petition and an initial determination of the status may take as long as six (6) weeks, not including subsequent appeals.
- Comptroller of Maryland: Request certified copies of Maryland tax returns.
- Office of International Services — University of Maryland, Baltimore
- State of Maryland Voter Information: Verify or change your voter registration.
- State of Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration (MVA)
All inquiries regarding petitions should be directed to the Office of the Registrar by calling 410-706-7480 or sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.