- Academic Affairs
- Accountability and Compliance
- Administration and Finance
- Center for Health and Homeland Security
- Center for Information Technology Services
- Communications and Public Affairs
- Community Engagement
- Government Affairs
- Human Resource Services
- Office of Philanthropy
- Operations and Planning
- UMB Police Department
- President's Office
- Research and Development
- University Counsel
Progress in Action
BGE to Upgrade Natural Gas Lines in the Area
Starting on or about April 29, 2019, BGE will be upgrading the natural gas lines in the area surrounding the University of Maryland (UMD Phase 1). This is part of BGE’s Operation Pipeline initiative to modernize gas equipment throughout our service area to continue delivering natural gas safely and reliably. This work is anticipated to continue approximately twelve months for construction and installation.
The UMD Phase 1 project area, in which BGE will install new gas mains, consists of the area roughly bounded by Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd., West Pratt St., South Green St., and West Lombard St. (See project map below.)
During the installation of these gas mains, individuals should expect:
- Shifting traffic patterns within the project area.
- Drivers and pedestrians should expect lane closures and detours during the life of this project. Flaggers will be on site to assist with directing traffic.
- Street parking restrictions during regular working hours of 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. Monday through Friday.
- Parking restrictions will be delineated by signage and traffic cones.
- General construction noise in the area due to excavation of the road.
As work is completed, any paving or landscaped surfaces disturbed by the work will be restored. Disturbed surfaces may be temporarily paved or covered by metal plates before permanent resurfacing occurs.
We look forward to beginning this important safety and reliability upgrade. You can learn more about Operation Pipeline by watching the Operation Pipeline Video on the project website www.BGE.com/OperationPipeline. You can also contact the project team by email at OperationPipeline@bge.com or phone at 410-470-7700. A member of the project team will respond within 24 hours.
The points of contact for this project will be Ken Gostomski, Project Manager for BGE Operation Pipeline, UMD Phase 1, and Paul Leatherman, Senior Project Construction Manager.