- Academic Affairs
- Administration and Finance
- Center for Health and Homeland Security
- Center for Information Technology Services
- Communications and Public Affairs
- Office of Philanthropy
- Government Affairs
- Human Resource Services
- Office of Community Engagement
- Operations and Planning
- Office of the President
- Police and Public Safety
- Research and Development
- University Counsel
President’s Entrepreneurial Fellowship
One of UMB’s top priorities is commercializing innovative technologies discovered by UMB faculty into new therapeutics, vaccines, diagnostics, medical devices, software solutions, and research tools. Successful technology transfer can improve health care around the world and create jobs in Maryland. In FY15, UMB licensed 39 technologies invented by its faculty to private companies, including five startup companies.
The President’s Entrepreneurial Fellowship is a new initiative designed to give students from UMB and the Smith School of Business hands-on training and experience in commercializing health science discoveries made by UMB faculty. The fellows will work together as an inter-disciplinary team to bring several of UMB’s most promising technologies to market.
The fellowship is managed by UM Ventures Baltimore, which is part of the UMB Office of Research and Development. UM Ventures staff, UMB entrepreneurial faculty, and private-sector entrepreneurs will train the fellows to evaluate technologies and market opportunities; identify funding sources and strategic partners; and develop business, legal, and regulatory strategies. The fellows will use this training to help UM Ventures commercialize UMB-owned inventions.
- Applicants must be enrolled in a degree program at the University of Maryland, Baltimore or the Smith School of Business for the duration of the fellowship. Postdocs are not eligible.
- Fellows will work 200 hours — on average 10 hours a week for 20 weeks.
- Approximately 20 percent of this time will be devoted to receiving training and mentoring. The balance of the time will be devoted to working on specific technologies.
- The schedule will be flexible to accommodate coursework and other responsibilities.
- Fellows will be paid a $5,000 scholarship toward tuition.
- Five fellowships will be awarded.
Applications must include the student’s CV, a cover letter describing the student’s particular qualifications and interest in the fellowship, and at least one faculty recommendation. If the student has a mentor/adviser, the recommendation must be from the mentor/adviser.
- Sept. 12, 2016: Applications due at 5 p.m.
- Sept. 26, 2016: Fellows selected
- Oct. 10, 2016: Fellowship commences
- March 10, 2016: Fellowship concludes
Please submit applications, preferably as a single PDF document, to VPORD@umaryland.edu. Any questions may be sent to the same email address.