- Academic Affairs
- Administration and Finance
- Center for Health and Homeland Security
- Center for Information Technology Services
- Communications and Public Affairs
- Office of Philanthropy
- Government Affairs
- Human Resource Services
- Office of Community Engagement
- Operations and Planning
- Office of the President
- Police and Public Safety
- Research and Development
- University Counsel
Create a SharePoint Site
Before creating a new site you should determine the audience/users that will need to access it.
There are 3 areas that your site could be located within:
1) within your school/departmental area -
If your site will need to be available to people within your school/department and others in the campus domain (all Administrative departments and UMB schools except for School of Medicine, FPI and Affailiates).
2) within the "UMB External Collaboration" area -
If your site will need to be available to the UMB campus (faculty, staff, students and affiliates that include all the Administrative departments and schools) as well as external users that are not part of UMB.
3) within the "UMB Internal Collaboration" area -
If your site will need to be available to only the UMB campus (faculty, staff, students and affiliates that include all the Administrative departments and schools).
Please contact the CITS web development group if you need a new site created in the "UMB External Collaboration" or "UMB Internal Collaboration" area. Individuals assigned as site owners for their school/department are able to create sub-sites within their own school/department.
In order to improve performance and search results, it is recommended that SharePoint Sites are developed to be wide rather than deep.
Keeping a site 3-4 levels deep will reduce the amount of clicks and navigation users will need to do in order to find information. Before creating a new SharePoint site, create a plan/hierarchy of how to layout the site. Determine the best titles for the sites and what groups should have access to each. Then assign the permissions for each subsite using groups rather than using individual user permission, for more information see SharePoint Groups & Permissions.
Create a subsite
- Click Settings and then click Site Settings.
- Click Sites and workspaces under Site Administration.
- Click Create in the Sites and Workspaces dialog.
- In the New SharePoint Site dialog, enter the Title for the page, a Description, and the URL name for users to use to get to your site.