- Academic Affairs
- Administration and Finance
- Center for Health and Homeland Security
- Center for Information Technology Services
- Communications and Public Affairs
- Office of Philanthropy
- Government Affairs
- Human Resource Services
- Office of Community Engagement
- Operations and Planning
- Office of the President
- Police and Public Safety
- Research and Development
- University Counsel
Creating a UMID and Password
- Go to the UMB Account Management Site and click on the New User, Set Up Account link.
- Verify your identity
The information you enter must match what is listed on your employee, student, or affiliate record.
- Enter your Last Name
- Enter your Date of Birth (Month, Day, Year)
- Select the option for either the “Last 4 digits of Social Security Number” or the “UM PIN (4 digits)”.
NOTE: If you are an affiliate, Community System member, or your employee or student record does not contain a Social Security Number, you will need to enter a 4-digit UM PIN. The system will not be able to find your account using the last 4 digits of a Social Security Number.
- Enter the Last 4 digits of your Social Security Number or a UM PIN.
- Click the Submit button to search for your account.
- Set up your UMID
The UMID is your username for any UM Authenticated system.
You will be presented up to four options to choose from:
User’s Legal Name
John David Smith
First Initial + Last Name
First Initial + Middle Initial + Last Name
First Name + Last Name
First Name . Last Name
Select your preferred UMID.
Confirm your selection.
- Set up your Secret Question and Answer
If you ever forget your UMID or Password, you can use the Forgot Password feature on the UM Account Management site.
When you select this option, the system will find your account and then use the Secret Question and Answer you provided to verify your identity.
- By default, the question “What was the name of the street you lived on in the third grade?” appears. Use the drop-down menu to select another verification question.
- Provide an answer to the verification question.
The answer must be between 3 and 32 characters in length.
If you use the Forgot Password feature, the system will expect a response that matches this answer exactly, including capitalization and spaces.
- Click on the “Submit” button.
Once you set up your Secret Question and Answer, you will receive confirmation that your secret question and answer have been written to the directory.
Click the “Continue” button.
- Select a Security Image.
You will be selecting a Security Image and a Security Phrase. These items have been added to the Account Management Site to help deter phishing attempts. Once selected, you will not be able to change them.
Select an image, then click on Set Security Image.
- Enter a Security Phrase. It cannot contain any leading or trailing spaces. The phrase must start and end with a letter. Click on the “Set Security Phrase” button.
The Security Image and Security Phrase will display each time you log into the UM Account Management Site for your security verification.
Your Security Image and Security Phrase will display. Click on the “Continue” button.
- Setup your Password
Your Password gives you access to numerous systems across campus. Please create a secure password that meets the following criteria:
Length between 9 and 32
At least 1 special character
At least 1 number
At least 1 uppercase letter
At least 1 lowercase letter
Not equal to UMID
No more than 2 consecutive identical characters
Cannot contain the following special characters
Password has not been used in the last 10 passwords
Password has not been used in the last 2 days
- Enter your Password in the “Desired password” and “Confirm password” fields.
- Click on the “Submit” button.
You will receive confirmation that your password has been written to the UM Directory. This screen will also show when your password will expire.
Click on the “Continue” button to return to the UM Account Management home page.
- Click on the “Log Off” button to log out of the UM Account Management site.
- Close all Internet browser windows.
Additional Information: UM PIN Help
The UM PIN is not your Password. The UM PIN is used in place of the last 4 digits of a Social Security Number to verify a user’s identity if a user does not have a Social Security Number associated with their account, or does not wish to provide that information.
If you do not know your UM PIN, use the following directions to have a UM PIN emailed to you.
- Go to the UMB Account Management site.
- Click on the New User, Set Up Account link. Do not fill out any of the requested information yet.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on the UM PIN Help button to access the UM PIN Help Site.
- Enter one of the following values in the UMID field and click on the “Submit” button.
Value Format OneCard Customer Number 14-digit number found on the back of the UM OneCard
Student ID '@' sign followed by 8 numbers
Employee ID/Person ID Six numbers
- Verify the email address displayed and click on the Reset PIN & Email button.
- Close the UM PIN window.
You should receive a “UM PIN Reset” email message from the Help Desk with your UM PIN in a few minutes.
- Once you receive your UM PIN, you will be able to verify your identity in Step 2 (page 2 of these instructions) and continue the process to set up your UMID and Password.
If you need assistance with obtaining your UM PIN, contact the IT Help Desk at 410-706-HELP (4357) or email us.
For more information about Creating a UMID and Password, call the IT Help Desk at 410-706-HELP (4357), or send an email.