- Use reusable cups, plates, silverware, and coffee mugs.
- Encourage others to recycle and support sustainability efforts at UMB.
- Use a reusable stainless steel or BPA-free water bottle.
- Buy products in packages that can be recycled.
- Use rechargeable batteries.
- Store food in reusable containers: See tips for a trash-free lunch.
- Use cloth napkins and towels.
- Donate to Goodwill and other charities.
- Shut off faucets when brushing teeth or washing hands.
- Reduce use of air-conditioning units by opening windows.
- Buy used goods or acquire them free from Craigslist, Freecycle, or friends
- Take shorter showers: See Top Six Tips for Taking a Shorter Shower.
- Purchase organic bedding made of cotton and bamboo grown without pesticides: See Organic Cotton for Clothing, Baby, Bedding, and more.
- When shopping, choose phosphate-free products such as those from Ecover, Method, and Seventh Generation.
- Buy detergents that are free of dyes and perfumes.
- Lift shades to bring in natural light.
- Use compact fluorescent lights (CFLs): See EnergyStar.
- Grow house plants to improve air quality.
- Avoid air fresheners — they are pollutants.
- Switch off lights when leaving a room.
- Use nontoxic paint.
- Instead of driving, ride your bike or walk.
- Use public transportation such as the Charm City Circulator.
Set up a Green Home Office
- Set printer to double-sided default.
- Reduce use of cords; use Smart Strip power strips.
- Power down computer at the end of the day.
- Turn off computer monitor when not in use.
- Use a for your phone and other electronics.
- Use one TV.
- Use Energy Star-rated appliances.
- Turn off power strips at the end of the day.