Liability Insurance

Sometimes referred to as tort liability, liability insurance protects the University and/or its employees from liability imposed by law for bodily or other personal injury or damage to property resulting from negligent acts or omissions.

Locations on campus where liability claims most frequently originate are in elevators, parking garages, and on University-owned sidewalks. Most involve a slip, trip, fall, elevator door, or parking garage gate arm. The University is assessed a $1,000 per claim deductible.

As detailed in Annotated Code of Maryland, State Government Title 12, Section 12-106(b) (1) and 12-107 (a) (1)-(5), all claims against the State of Maryland or any of its agencies must be submitted, in writing, by the claimant to the Claims Unit-Insurance Division of the Maryland State Treasurer’s Office within one year after the injury to person or property using the Notice of Claim Form. The letter should concisely describe the detail of the alleged incident including the date, time, exact UMB location, and a description of damage or injury.

The letter should be addressed to:

Maryland State Treasurer's Office
Goldstein Treasury Building
80 Calvert Street
Annapolis, Maryland 21401 

EHS Risk Management must be notified of the incident, regardless of whether the claimant wishes to file a claim. The department should make every effort to have the UMB Police respond and complete a report. It is essential that the incident be investigated and the facts documented. To report/document an incident, please use the Adverse Incident Report.

If the incident is the result of an urgent, safety-related situation, immediately contact University Police (711) and ask them to contact EHS.

Proof of Liability Insurance - Students

The University of Maryland, Baltimore maintains a number of different programs to provide professional liability insurance coverage for its students while in clinical settings as part of their academic programs. As a result, the method for future employers or academic institutions to verify coverage and learn of claims histories for former University students varies depending on a former student’s school and specific academic program.

Please be advised that your request cannot be processed until you graduate. Requests made before your graduation date will be held until such time.

The University’s insurance program provides professional liability coverage for the following students:

Allied Health Students in these programs

  • School of Medicine
    • Human Genetics Counseling
    • Medical Research and Technology
    • Pathology
    • Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation Science  
  • School of Nursing
    • Undergraduate and Graduate  
  • School of Pharmacy
    • PharmD
  • School of Social Work
    • Undergraduate and Graduate  
  • School of Dentistry
    • DDS (Dentists)
    • BS Dental Hygiene (Dental Hygienists)
  • Medical Students in the MD Program

Procedure for Requesting Proof of Insurance / Claims History:

All requests for proof of insurance and/or claims history require a form of request providing basic information, listed here, along with an enrollment verification from the Office of the Registrar. It is preferred to use the University's Form. I[CB1] f the form provided by an employer or academic institution is used, the graduate must verify that the form includes all required information, and append additional pages as required if the form is not as comprehensive as the University’s form.

Forms must be signed by the graduate. If the name of the graduate is not the name that appears in current University records, evidence of change of name (e.g., copy of marriage license) must be provided. 

Required Information:

  • Full name of the graduate (include maiden and/or married name)
  • Current address, phone number, and email address
  • School and program attended, degree obtained, and years enrolled at school
  • Where information is to be sent, and whether the recipient will accept a facsimile or email. Information must be sent directly to the requesting employer or academic institution. 
  • Whether the graduate wishes to receive a copy of the mailing to the requesting employer or academic institution
  • Graduate’s statement that the University and the State of Maryland are authorized to release the information requested, and held harmless from any liability as a result of releasing the information
  • Enrollment verification from the Office of the Registrar

Procedure for Allied Health Program Graduates and Dental School Graduates

The employer or academic/research institution must request the information in writing and submit a request signed by the graduate or they can use the Request for Verification of Student Professional Malpractice Coverage or Claims History (University's Form)‌. 

The request should be faxed [CB2] to EHS at the address below. The graduate must accompany the request with an enrollment verification from the Office of the Registrar. The graduate can request a copy of the enrollment verification to be sent directly to EHS, c/o Angela Boxley, 714 W. Lombard St., Baltimore, MD 21201. Requests cannot be processed without an enrollment verification. EHS will review the request for completeness and forward it to the appropriate insurance carrier for processing. The entire procedure can take up to 21 days. It takes longer if paperwork is incomplete or incorrect.

Release forms must be signed by graduates and must contain all requested information or they will be returned for completion.

Medical Students

The employer or academic/research institution must request the information in writing and submit a form signed by the graduate. The form should be sent via email to the Maryland Medicine Comprehensive Insurance Program (MMCIP) at