Insurance Programs

Air Travel Insurance Coverage

All University employees are automatically covered for injuries received while traveling on the business of the State and further such injuries are received while the employee is: riding in, getting on, getting off, or is struck by an aircraft.

DEFINITION: The phrase "traveling on the business of the State" means any trip made by an employee on assignment by or with authorization of the State for the purpose of furthering the business of the State.

EXCLUSIONS: This Air Travel Insurance does not cover injuries incurred when they result from:

  1. The Employee functioning as a pilot member of the crew, or if the employee has any duties pertaining to the operation of the aircraft
  2. Injuries sustained while traveling between the employee's residence and regular place of employment, while on vacation, or while on authorized leave of absence
  3. Injuries caused by suicide or attempted suicide, sane or insane
  4. Injuries caused by act of declared or undeclared war

BENEFICIARY DESIGNATION: It is not necessary to fill out a beneficiary designation form every time the employee has occasion to fly on business, if the employee is a member of one of the several retirement systems in the State of Maryland. The indemnity for loss of life of an employee shall be payable:

  1. To the beneficiary or beneficiaries designated by the employee under the State's retirement system
  2. To the beneficiary or beneficiaries designated, in writing, by the employee on the State of Maryland Air Travel Accident Insurance Beneficiary Designation Form
  3. In the absences of A or B, to the estate of the employee; all other indemnities payable shall be paid to the employee

Maximum Coverage: $ 300,000 per person, $1,500,000 per accident, no deductible

Additional information is available in the University's Travel Policy (No. 3331).

Domestic Car Rental Insurance

Rental Vehicles

When renting vehicles for University business, SIGN THE CONTRACT WITH THE DRIVER'S NAME, followed by "UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND, BALTIMORE/STATE OF MARYLAND.”. It is critical to do this in order to secure liability protection under the Maryland Tort Claims Act, as discussed below. Employees who rent vehicles for UMB business should find out whether their personal automobile liability policy will apply to cover property damage to the rented vehicle or liability claims arising from use of the rented vehicle. It is recommended that personal coverage for rented vehicle use be maintained by employees who rent vehicles for UMB business, due to the risk that a claim might be found to relate to personal use rather than UMB business, and therefore determined not to fall under the Maryland Tort Claims Act.

  1. Physical Damage Coverage
  • Rental companies usually require the renter (i.e., the UMB employee) to be responsible for most accidental damage to the rented vehicle. This provision is included in the rental contract. An employee renting a vehicle should know whether or not his/her personal automobile liability insurance will cover accidental damage. If it does, any claims should be reported to the personal automobile liability carrier as well as UMB.
  • Rental companies will attempt to sell drivers supplemental rental insurance. UMB will not reimburse the cost of purchasing such insurance. The State's self-insurance will apply to property damage to a rented vehicle, subject to a $1,000 deductible charged to UMB. However, due to the risk of the State denying a claim if the vehicle was used for a personal purpose at the time of the damage, employees are strongly encouraged to ensure that their personal automobile coverage applies or to purchase the rental company's insurance and bear the cost. Employees may be reimbursed for vehicle rental collision damage waiver insurance for foreign rentals (outside the 50 states).
  1. Liability Coverage
  • Most rental companies automatically provide minimum limits of coverage with the most common limits being $15,000 per person for bodily injury, $50,000 per bodily injury, aggregate of all claims, and $25,000 for property damage. Higher limits may be purchased by the employee at his/her expense. UMB will not reimburse for liability insurance purchases under most circumstances. The Maryland Tort Claims Act applies to claims related to use of a rental vehicle for UMB purposes in Maryland, or claims brought in Maryland related to use of a University vehicle out of state. For liability protection in out of state accidents, a UMB driver must rely upon insurance purchased from the rental company or personal automobile insurance. The University recommends that drivers NOT rely upon the rental company's minimum liability coverage when using a rented vehicle out of state on UMB business. Personal insurance should be relied upon or the driver should purchase higher limits from the rental company. The expense of personal insurance or separately purchased insurance will not be reimbursed in most cases. Employees who can document to UMB that they (1) do not own a car and (2) do not have automobile insurance, may be reimbursed for purchasing liability insurance for vehicles rented for use outside the State of Maryland.

Fidelity Bond Coverage

Fidelity Bond Coverage is a "blanket" coverage to indemnify State agencies against loss of money or other financial instruments through fraudulent or dishonest acts of employees (i.e., full-time, part-time, contractual, and elected) during the performance of their duties. Students under the direct jurisdiction and control of University (State) officials who are required by law to give individual bonds for faithful performance of their duties, against loss acts or defaults of subordinates are included. Claim must be filed with EHS and the State Treasurer’s Office no later than thirty (30) days from discovery of the disappearance and must lead to documented proof of loss identifying the specific employee(s) involved. A report must be filed with the University Police no later than the claim is filed with EHS. There is a $1,000 deductible that will be deducted from any claim certified for payment by the Claims Unit - Insurance Division of the State Treasurer’s Office.


Malpractice Insurance (Student)

The University, in conjunction with the Insurance Division of the State Treasurer's Office, currently maintains three (3) programs of malpractice insurance offering coverage to properly enrolled students. Two of the programs are provided through commercial insurance while the third is offered through self-insurance.

Eligible students participating in approved clinical courses in human genetics, medical technology, nursing, pathology, pharmacy, physical therapy,  and social work are enrolled in a blanket insurance policy obtained through the state treasurer. The following is a breakdown of the major points of the program:

  1. Each school's eligible program submits in late summer the estimated number of students who will be participating in clinical programs. The combined estimate for all University schools is submitted by EHS to the Insurance Division of the State Treasurer's Office.
  2. A listing of each program's participating facilities is submitted to EHS in the late summer. This listing includes the facility name, address, phone number, and contact person as well as which program is providing the students. After these listings are submitted to the insurance division, the insurance broker/agent will issue a certificate of coverage to each listed facility.
  3. Faculty engaged in actual clinical instruction are also covered under this policy.
  4. Coverage is currently provided under a "claims made" policy with $1,000,000/ $3,000,000 in limits.
  5. Students are billed through student accounting (financial services) each semester for their portion of the premium based upon their enrollment in designated clinical courses. Eligible enrolled students participating in the clinical programs in the dental school (including dental hygienist) are covered under a separate commercial policy that covers the operation of the entire clinical operation. The program highlights are listed below:
  • All students properly enrolled in an eligible clinical course are covered under this blanket policy.
  • All faculty who are registered to instruct in the clinical program are also covered.
  • Coverage is under a "claims made" policy.
  • Students are billed through student accounting (financial services) for their premium based upon the program and year in which they are enrolled.


Students are billed through Student Accounting (Financial Services) for their premium.

  • A statement of coverage can be requested for any non-UM facility in which an eligible student is participating in a clinical program.

 Note: Professional Liability Insurance Coverage For Student Volunteer Activities

The campus, schools, and individuals on campus have been receiving an increasing number of requests for “volunteers” to assist with community outreach and volunteer events, such as requests for health aides at marathons or walks, and to give flu shots at campus or community events. These requests may be promoted through campus email or bulletin-boards by UMB or school leadership, by student groups, or by others.

It is important for students, faculty, and staff to know that the professional liability insurance provided to UMB students is intended to cover only formal experiential training activities that are part of the curriculum and are organized and conducted under the supervision of the school.  Students and University personnel should not assume that the same professional liability insurance provides coverage for volunteer or community outreach activities.

A school or program may determine that a specific volunteer or community outreach activity qualifies as a “formal experiential training activity that is part of the curriculum, organized and conducted under the supervision of the school.”  However, such a determination must be made in advance and a specific list of qualifying criteria must be reviewed and approved before the activity may be qualified for coverage.

The criteria are designed to ensure that UMB student volunteer activities comply with the terms imposed by each insurance company as a condition of providing professional liability insurance to UMB students. In each case, the school or program must keep in its files documentation showing that a designee of the dean determined in advance that minimum criteria were met, risks were appropriately assessed, and school oversight and control of the volunteer event was meaningful and adequate to manage risks arising from UMB student participation.

Each school or program must submit a quarterly report of all approved student volunteer activities to EHS. The reports will be used to analyze risks and assist UMB insurers in determining future premium calculations.

Community Outreach - Student Activity Form PDF[CB1] 

These guidelines address professional liability insurance coverage for UMB students only. Determining if UMB faculty and staff are properly licensed and insured for volunteer activities requires a different analysis and is not addressed under these guidelines.

Any questions regarding these programs should be directed to Angela Boxley at (410)706-3221 or by e-mail at


Liability Insurance

Sometimes referred to as tort liability, liability insurance protects the University and/or its employees from liability imposed by law for bodily or other personal injury or damage to property resulting from negligent acts or omissions. Locations on campus where liability claims most frequently originate are in elevators, parking garages, and on University-owned sidewalks. Most involve a slip, trip, fall, elevator door, or parking garage gate arm. The University is assessed a $1,000 per claim deductible.

As detailed in Annotated Code of Maryland, State Government Title 12, Section 12-106(b) (1) and 12-107 (a) (1)-(5), all claims against the State of Maryland or any of its agencies must be submitted, in writing, by the claimant to the Claims Unit-Insurance Division of the Maryland State Treasurer’s Office within one year after the injury to person or property using the Notice of Claim Form PDF. The letter should concisely describe the detail of the alleged incident including the date, time, exact UMB location, and a description of damage or injury. The letter should be addressed to:

Maryland State Treasurer's Office
Goldstein Treasury Building
80 Calvert Street
Annapolis, Maryland 21401 

EHS Risk Management must be notified of the incident, regardless of whether the claimant wishes to file a claim. The department should make every effort to have the UMB Police respond and complete a report. It is essential that the incident be investigated and the facts documented. To report/document an incident, please use the Adverse Incident Report PDF.

If the incident is the result of an urgent, safety-related situation, immediately contact University Police (711) and ask them to contact EHS.

Proof of Liability Insurance - Students

The University of Maryland, Baltimore maintains a number of different programs to provide professional liability insurance coverage for its students while in clinical settings as part of their academic programs. As a result, the method for future employers or academic institutions to verify coverage and learn of claims histories for former University students varies depending on a former student’s school and specific academic program.

Please be advised that your request cannot be processed until you graduate. Requests made before your graduation date will be held until such time.

The University’s insurance program provides professional liability coverage for the following students:

Allied Health Students in these programs:

  1. School of Medicine:
  • Human Genetics Counseling
  • Medical Research and Technology
  • Pathology
  • Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation Science  
  1. 2.     School of Nursing
  • Undergraduate and Graduate  
  • School of Pharmacy
  • PharmD
  • School of Social Work
  • Undergraduate and Graduate  
  • School of Dentistry
  • DDS (Dentists)
  • BS Dental Hygiene (Dental Hygienists)
  • Medical Students in the MD Program


Procedure for Requesting Proof of Insurance / Claims History:

All requests for proof of insurance and/or claims history require a form of request providing basic information, listed here, along with an enrollment verification from the Office of the Registrar. It is preferred to use the University's Form. I[CB1] f the form provided by an employer or academic institution is used, the graduate must verify that the form includes all required information, and append additional pages as required if the form is not as comprehensive as the University’s form.

Forms must be signed by the graduate. If the name of the graduate is not the name that appears in current University records, evidence of change of name (e.g., copy of marriage license) must be provided. 

Required information:

  • Full name of the graduate (include maiden and/or married name)
  • Current address, phone number, and email address
  • School and program attended, degree obtained, and years enrolled at school
  • Where information is to be sent, and whether the recipient will accept a facsimile or email. Information must be sent directly to the requesting employer or academic institution. 
  • Whether the graduate wishes to receive a copy of the mailing to the requesting employer or academic institution
  • Graduate’s statement that the University and the State of Maryland are authorized to release the information requested, and held harmless from any liability as a result of releasing the information
  • Enrollment verification from the Office of the Registrar

Procedure for Allied Health Program Graduates and Dental School Graduates

The employer or academic/research institution must request the information in writing and submit a request signed by the graduate or they can use the Request for Verification of Student Professional Malpractice Coverage or Claims History (University's Form)‌. 

The request should be faxed [CB2] to EHS at the address below. The graduate must accompany the request with an enrollment verification from the Office of the Registrar. The graduate can request a copy of the enrollment verification to be sent directly to EHS, c/o Angela Boxley, 714 W. Lombard St., Baltimore, MD 21201. Requests cannot be processed without an enrollment verification. EHS will review the request for completeness and forward it to the appropriate insurance carrier for processing. The entire procedure can take up to 21 days. It takes longer if paperwork is incomplete or incorrect.

Release forms must be signed by graduates and must contain all requested information or they will be returned for completion.

Medical Students

The employer or academic/research institution must request the information in writing and submit a form signed by the graduate. The form should be sent via email to the Maryland Medicine Comprehensive Insurance Program (MMCIP) at  

University Insurance Program Contact Information

Environmental Health and Safety, Risk Management Specialist
University of Maryland, Baltimore
714 W. Lombard St.
Baltimore, MD 21201
PHONE: (410) 706-3221
FAX: (410)  706-8212
Angela Boxley

Office of Risk Management (FOR MEDICAL STUDENTS ONLY)
Maryland Medicine Comprehensive Insurance Program (MMCIP)
250 W. Pratt St., Ste. 1200
Baltimore, MD 21201
PHONE:  (410) 328-4704
FAX: (410) 328-3391