Injury Reporting and Worker's Compensation

How to Report a Work-Related Injury/Receive Treatment

This information is only for the use of University of Maryland employees and volunteers. If you are a student requiring medical care, please go to the Student Health website.

Medical Treatment

During business hours

Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 5 p.m.

  1. For an injury or illness requiring emergency care, dial 711 from a campus phone or 911 from an off-campus phone and request emergency transportation.
  2. For non-emergency care, proceed directly to the UMaryland Immediate Care Center (UMICC) located at 408 W. Lombard St. The Immediate Care Center phone number is (667) 214-1899. No appointment is necessary.
  3. Take a copy of the first report of injury form with you to ensure you are not billed for the visit. The forms are in the reporting section of this page.

After hours

Monday through Friday 5 p.m. to 7 a.m., weekends, and holidays

  1. Seek medical care from the UMMC Emergency Room, your personal physician, or a local hospital.
  2. If exposed to human blood, call the Bloodborne Pathogen Exposure Hotline at (667) 214-1886. Your call will be answered by a medical professional (24/7) who will advise you on the risk of your exposure, what treatment you may need, and facilitate the "Source Patient's" blood being tested.

Out of state

If you work outside Maryland, complete the Out-of-State First Report of Injury form provided below. Advise the health care provider that you are seeking treatment for a workers' compensation claim and provide them with the carrier's name and policy number referenced on the First Report of Injury form.

Note: Employees or volunteers covered under Maryland's workers compensation system may also seek treatment from a health care provider of their choice.

Reporting a Work-Related Injury or Ilness

Work-related injuries and illnesses, regardless of whether medical treatment is required, should be reported to Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) within three (3) days of the incident. Prompt reporting ensures that the injured person receives the medical treatment and benefits entitled to them. To report an injury or illness:

  • Notify your supervisor of the injury or exposure
  • Complete the appropriate first report of injury form:

Supervisor Investigation Report and Accident Witness(s) Statement 

The following forms should be completed by the injured person's supervisor and witness(s) to the event:

Note: If the PDF form is used, you must fax a completed copy to the attention of Angela Boxley at (410) 706-8212