- Academic Affairs
- Administration and Finance
- Center for Health and Homeland Security
- Center for Information Technology Services
- Communications and Public Affairs
- Office of Philanthropy
- Government Affairs
- Human Resource Services
- Office of Community Engagement
- Operations and Planning
- Office of the President
- Police and Public Safety
- Research and Development
- University Counsel
Research involving the use of the certain materials must be registered with the appropriate governing bodies and may be reviewed by committee.
Work on these materials may not begin until activities and personnel have been properly registered and approved by the appropriate committees.
Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC)
The UMB IBC reviews work involving recombinant DNA or synthetic molecules, human materials, pathogens, and potentially pathogenic materials in University and University-affiliated labspaces. IBC protocol submission and administration is handled through the Biosafety Office.
Radiation Safety Committee (RSC
The UMB RSC develops policies and performs oversight functions on use of radioactive materials and radiation-producing machines on campus and at affiliated institutions. Its day-to-day activities are performed by subcommittees, including the Human Use, Basic Research, and Radioactive Drug Research subcommittees. RSC protocol submission and administration is handled through the Radiation Safety Office.
Both the IBC and RSC review protocols submitted using the Collaborative Institutional Comprehensive Evaluation of Research Online system (CICERO). In order to submit, edit, or perform research on a protocol registered with the above committees, you will need a CICERO account.
- Navigate to CICERO and click Create Login Account on the right.
- Under Requested Roles, click Principal Investigator or Researcher.
- Indicate that you will need IBC and/or RSC modules (and any others you may need).
- Enter all other required information and click Register at the bottom right section of the page.
Please note that all staff on your projects will need also require CICERO accounts. Please pass these directions on to your staff.
Additional Research Registration Programs not administrated by EHS:
Administrated by the Office of Animal Welfare Assurance (OAWA)
- Research and other activities involving the use of laboratory animals
Administrated by the Human Research Protections Office (HRPO)