- Academic Affairs
- Accountability and Compliance
- Administration and Finance
- Center for Health and Homeland Security
- Center for Information Technology Services
- Communications and Public Affairs
- Community Engagement
- Government Affairs
- Human Resource Services
- Office of Philanthropy
- Operations and Planning
- UMB Police Department
- President's Office
- Research and Development
- University Counsel
Fire and Emergency Evacuation Procedures
In order to provide a safe environment for all University students, faculty and staff, a specific emergency fire evacuation plan has been developed for each building on campus.
The University Fire Safety Manager designs a specific fire evacuation plan from a general boilerplate plan for each building on campus. Within this plan are specific directions on evacuation via emergency fire stairs and exits. Emergency Wardens are selected for each floor of the building from the staff of those floors. Emergency wardens are trained in their duties and responsibilities by the University Fire Safety Manager. In order to practice and evaluate the building evacuation plans, evacuation drills are held quarterly. Drills involve University Police, Operations and Maintenance and the University Fire Safety Manager. All drills are evaluated by the University Fire Safety Manager to determine if the drills are conducted according to the evacuation plan. If needed, additional drills are conducted. Evacuation plans are periodically evaluated and updated.
If you see smoke or flames in any university building, or when the fire alarm sounds, the following procedures should be followed:
- If you discover a fire, pull the manual fire alarm, if it hasn't been activated.
- Call 711 and give the location of the fire.
- Fire extinguishers should only be used if you are trained to use them and only after the alarm has been pulled and 711 has been called.
- Evacuate the building using the nearest stairwell; Do Not Use Elevators.
- Make use of nearest exit door to the outside of the building, doors marked for an emergency should be used, a fire alarm is an emergency!
- Once outside, move across the street or down the sidewalk, away from the building entrance.
- Do not re-enter the building until the all-clear is given by the fire officer in charge or University Police.
Evacuation plans for individual buildings are located on the main building page for a particular building. To access your buildings evacuation plan go to the UM Building page and find your building listed. You will find your evacuation plan at the bottom of the page. Become familiar with your buildings evacuation plan and practice it during drills.
Fire drills are held at the University of Maryland once each quarter. Fire drills are unannounced and should be conducted using the same procedures as any other building evacuation. Additional information about fire drills can be obtained from the University Fire Marshal Andrew Roberts, P.E. at 410-706-3494 or email@example.com.