- Academic Affairs
- Accountability and Compliance
- Administration and Finance
- Center for Health and Homeland Security
- Center for Information Technology Services
- Communications and Public Affairs
- Community Engagement
- Government Affairs
- Human Resource Services
- Office of Philanthropy
- Operations and Planning
- UMB Police Department
- President's Office
- Research and Development
- University Counsel
Welcome to the UMB Center for Global Education Initiatives’ Global/Local Initiative
What is global/local? Global/local programs seek to break down the traditionally siloed fields of global health and community public health and all of the university institutions, scholarship, funding, and jobs that flow from these separate pathways. CGEI faculty and staff are leading the efforts to document global/local methods, develop best practices, and operationalize an integrated global/local program for its students and faculty.
Global/Local Initiative Activities
Convening meetings of national global/local leaders
- UMB members Dr. Yolanda Ogbolu (SON), Dr. Carla Alexander (SOM), Ashley Valis (Community Engagement Center), and Virginia Rowthorn (CGEI) participated in national roudtable "Bringing Global Health Home" organized by the Institute for Healthcare Improvement and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation.
- 2017 Panel Session at CUGH, Making the Global to Local Link in Academia: Concepts and Model
- 2017 UMB Roundtable, Zika Global to Local: Addressing the Epidemic through an International and Interprofessional Lens
- 2016 UMB Roundtable, Bridging the Global-Local Divide in Academia: Best Practices and Models
- 2015 CUGH satellite session: Global/Local: What Does It Mean for Global Health Educators and How Do We Do It?, co-sponsored with USAID's Global Health Fellows Program II
- Global to Local: Methods and Models, Annals of Global Health. Guest editors of this special issue are UMB’s Lori Edwards, Jane Lipscomb, Jody Olsen, and Virginia Rowthorn.
- Global/Local: What Does It Mean for Global Health Educators and How Do We Do It?, (2015). Annals of Global Health, 81(5): 593-601.
- Global/Local: Much Discussed, Little Understood, and the Right Thing To Do, V. Rowthorn, blog post on GlobalSL.org
- Read about UMB's innovative global student course with Haifa University in Israel called, Social Justice and Health: Are They Related in My Community? and the bi-directional learning when Haifa faculty and students visited Baltimore.
- Read about the Interprofessional Care Teams in Salvador, Brazil project that the UM School of Dentistry's Dr. Isabelita Rambob developed with partnering agency CEDAP: Centro Especializado em Diagnóstico, Assistência e Pesquisa, which is a state-specialized center for diagnosis, treatment, and research of STDs and HIV/AIDS.
- Read about retired UMB faculty member Leslie Glickman's recent visit with George Chimatiro, MSc, a Malawi physiotherapist, to discuss culture and health care with students and teachers at Southwest Charter School in Baltimore.
For more information about the Global/Local Initiative, contact CGEI Co-Director Virginia Rowthorn at firstname.lastname@example.org