Passports, Visas, & Other Travel Prep

Passports & Visas


  • Processing times for US passports are long - standard passport issuance is 10-12 weeks. Pay an additional $60 if you want to expedite your passport in 4-6 weeks. Plan ahead!

  • Ensure that your passport is valid for at least 6 months beyond the end date of your travel.

  • Information is available at US Department of State passport information.

  • You can find locations for submitting passport applications at the US Department of State’s Passport Acceptance Facility Search Page.


Every country has its own process, requirements, and fees for applying for a visa. Some countries may require you to travel to an in-person appointment at a consulate or embassy in select US cities. You can find current visa information by contacting the consulate or embassy of your destination country.

A consular office may deny your visa application, so it's best to adhere to their requirements and apply as early as possible. It is important that you know what is required of you before attempting to enter a country. Failing to obtain a visa could result in a denial of entry into a country and even criminal charges.

Health Care

Contact your health insurer to ensure you are covered while you are out of the country. In any case, contact International SOS if you have any health issues or concerns (however minor) when you are outside the United States. International SOS will give you advice, connect you to health care, and work with your insurer. See Safety & Security while Traveling for details.

In addition, check the CDC’s immunization requirements and recommendations for each country you are traveling to and through, then make an appointment to obtain those immunizations. We recommend using the UM School of Medicine Travel Medicine Practice, which is located on campus and is much more affordable than private travel clinics.

Communications, Cell Service, and Eduroam Abroad

Cell Phones

It is advisable to buy an international mobile phone plan for your international experience. It is the only way to have ready access to the International SOS app if you should need it. Another option is buying a local SIM card, so that you have a local number and can keep in easy contact. Be sure that your phone is unlocked and compatible. Once you arrive in country, you can purchase pre-paid SIM cards and "pay as you go" credit at markets and telephone stores.

Email & Internet 

Eduroam (education roaming) is the secure, worldwide roaming access service developed for the international research and education community.

Eduroam allows students, faculty, and staff from participating institutions (including UMB) to obtain Internet connectivity when visiting other participating institutions by utilizing their home institution email address on their laptop, smartphone, or other device.

How to Connect to Eduroam

Set up your device by following the appropriate guide below. Log in with your University credentials (email address and password).

Be Prepared

Register your trip with your embassy before you leave. Many countries offer online registration including the United States via the Smart Travelers Enrollment Plan (STEP). If there is an emergency in the country, your embassy will be aware of your presence.

Make copies of your itinerary, passport, visas, travel insurance card, immunization proof, letter of invitation or agreement from destination site, contact information for each location, list of emergency contacts, driver’s license, and UMB ID, and keep them in a place other than the originals (e.g., originals in your daypack and copies in your suitcase in the residence or a safe, if available).

Ask your in-country host about appropriate dress and shoes for work and casual activities, so you bring the correct apparel.

For additional guidance, see the "Preparing to travel" FAQ under Travel Safety & Security and International SOS.