- Academic Affairs
- Administration and Finance
- Center for Health and Homeland Security
- Center for Information Technology Services
- Communications and Public Affairs
- Community Engagement
- Government Affairs
- Human Resource Services
- Office of Philanthropy
- Operations and Planning
- Police and Public Safety
- President's Office
- Research and Development
- University Counsel
Health Insurance Waiver
All full-time students taking 9+credit hours are automatically billed for and enrolled in the Student Health Insurance Plan unless proof of comparable coverage is furnished by selecting the waiver option on the Health Insurance Decision Form. Any students taking less than 9 credit hours will not be automatically billed, but are eligible to enroll on a voluntary basis.
For approval of a waiver, the level of benefits provided through a health insurance plan must be fully-compliant with the Affordable Care Act (ACA). Coverage is considered comparable if it provides students with access to local providers and a range of services in the state of Maryland. Services include, but are not limited to, preventive and non-urgent care, emergency care, surgical care, inpatient and outpatient hospitalization, lab work, diagnostic x-rays, physical therapy and chiropractic care, prescription drugs, mental health and substance abuse treatment.
If a plan is an HMO, it is very likely that coverage is limited, or not available, outside of the HMO’s service area. Before deciding whether or not to waive coverage, students should compare their current health insurance plan to the UMB Student Health Insurance Plan for cost-sharing levels (deductibles and coinsurance) and access to In-Network Providers.
Plans that are not considered comparable include: plans that only provide emergency services in Maryland, plans that are purchased on a short term basis, plans that are international or travel insurance, out-of-state HMOs or other restricted managed care plans and out-of-state Medicaid plans.
The above criteria are used by Gallagher Student Health & Special Risk when reviewing and approving waiver requests.
UMB Health Insurance Requirement
UMB Professional and graduate students engage in all kinds of educational work on campus and participate in experiential education in the work place – pharmacies, schools, hospitals, rehab units, field sites community service centers etc. As such students face workplace risks but do not qualify for workers compensation insurance to cover workplace injuries or accidents on a no-fault basis. To ensure UMB students do not present an undue legal or financial risk to UMB or its affiliates, students are required to have ACA compliant health insurance. The UMB student health insurance plan provides the appropriate scope of coverage and protections through regulation by the State of Maryland Insurance Administration.
Generally, online students are not subject to the UMB Health Insurance Requirement and are not charged the Health Insurance Fee due to the nature of their educational work.
How to Waive UMB’s Student Health Insurance Plan
- You cannot log-in with the account you created for 2016-17. For 2017-18 you must use your UMB email address as the user ID to log in and your UMB student ID as your password. If you log in using the ID you created last year, you will not be able to access the enroll/waive form for 2017-18.
- You will not be able to enroll in the 2017-18 UMB SHIP if you haven't registered for classes.
- If you can't log in or don't have an UMB email address, please contact your school or Student Accounting at 410-706-2930.
NEW LOG IN PROCESS - 2017-2018 Student Health Insurance Plan.
- Your user account has been created for you.
- Your user name is your UMB email address.
- Your temporary password is your Banner ID.
If your Banner ID is @00123456, enter 000123456 as the password. (You can get your Banner ID on the Welcome Page of SURFS, under the "Registration Status" link).
- You will be prompted to reset your password the first time you log in. A secure link will be sent to your UMB email address to complete the process). Once the password is reset you will not receive a prompt again.
- Follow the instructions to complete the form.
- Print or write down your reference number. Receipt of this number only confirms submission, not acceptance, of your waiver request.
- If you are waiving coverage, your waiver is subject to a waiver verification process.
If you have any questions or would like to speak with a Customer Service Representative, please contact Gallagher Student Health & Special Risk at 1-844-288-4916 or by going to our website www.gallagherstudent.com/umb and clicking on the Customer Service link.