- Academic Affairs
- Accountability and Compliance
- Administration and Finance
- Center for Health and Homeland Security
- Center for Information Technology Services
- Communications and Public Affairs
- Community Engagement
- Government Affairs
- Human Resource Services
- Office of Philanthropy
- Operations and Planning
- UMB Police Department
- President's Office
- Research and Development
- University Counsel
Incinerator Operator Training Course
Special Medical/Industrial Waste Incinerator Operator Training Courses
Regulations of the Maryland Department of the Environment (MDE) require that all operators of special medical/hazardous waste incinerators attend a three-day initial training course and pass an exam to become certified. These regulations also require operators to be recertified annually. The programs developed by the University of Maryland have been approved by the MDE as satisfying these requirements.
Initial Certification: April 24-26, 2018
The Initial Certification (three-day) course will only be held upon request. If adequate enrollment is not available for the course, a course may be scheduled but the cost per enrollee will be dependent on the number of participants. Please contact our office at 410-706-7055 if you have an interest in the Initial course and we will attempt to recruit enough students to minimize the cost to individual enrollees.
April 27, 2018
Oct. 19, 2018
One-day recertification courses will be offered to incinerator operators who have completed the initial certification within the past year. The course will be held in conjunction with the Initial Certification Courses at a downtown location. Instructors will closely follow subjects covered in the EPA Training Manual used for initial certification and will update students on important changes in legislation/equipment, etc. made within the past year. The $219 registration fee includes course materials, continental breakfast, beverage breaks, lunch, and campus parking. This does not include a copy of the EPA Training Manual (used in the initial certification course), which is available for an extra $20.
Unique course features:
- Instructors supplement the EPA Manual with practical examples concerning incinerator operation.
- Ample time is provided on areas known to cause difficulties for students.
- Instructors are available after course hours for individual questions and coaching.
- Students who fail the certification or recertification exam and wish to retest will be charged a $25 retesting fee.
- Individual tutoring and oral exams may be arranged for a modest fee.
Pre-registration: For course registration, please call 410-706-7055. Check or credit card is accepted. Registrants will be sent a registration form, a map, and tentative course agenda one to two weeks before the course. Hours for both courses are 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Cancellation policy: Cancellations received less than five working days before the start of any course will be assessed a forfeiture fee of $219. Courses with registration of fewer than 10 persons will be postponed to a later date.