Asbestos is a naturally occurring mineral that is used in building products because of its fiber strength and heat-resistant qualities. Most of its use in these products has been discontinued; however, it still is permitted in certain applications and can be found in older building materials. Unfortunately, asbestos can cause severe disease to individuals exposed to it. Especially if inhaled.

To protect employees, students, and visitors, the University aggressively removes any asbestos that presents a hazard to people and as it renovates buildings. This includes hiring professional contracts that are properly trained and equipped to remove asbestos. The University also periodically inspects buildings for asbestos and provides training to employees that may come across asbestos during their normal duties.

For more information on the asbestos program, please contact EHS at 410-706-7055.

Related websites