Certificate of Occupancy

A Certificate of Occupancy is required for the occupancy, use, or change of use of any property at the University of Maryland Baltimore.  Certificates of occupancy are required in the following situations:

  1. Occupancy and use of a new structure.
  2. Change in use of an existing building.
  3. Remodeling of an existing building or part thereof.
  4. Occupancy and use of vacant land.
  5. Change in the use of land.
  6. Any change in use of a non-conforming use.

In case of undue hardship, a temporary or partial Certificate of Occupancy may be issued for up to six months provided that:

  1. The site and building are in a safe and usable condition;
  2. All site development requirements are substantially completed, but due to unavoidable delays such as adverse weather conditions, cannot be entirely completed in a reasonable time.

Certificates of Occupancy are issued by the Department of Environmental Health & Safety, University Fire Marshal at the University of Maryland Baltimore.  Questions concerning the Certificate of Occupancy should be directed to the University Fire Marshal Andrew Roberts, P.E. at 410-706-3494 or aroberts@umaryland.edu.