Find a therapist

It is important that you connect with a provider who can serve your particular needs. In arranging for private care, you should feel free to discuss the following issues with your Counseling Center clinician or with a potential provider:

  • Credentials/Services: Is the provider well qualified to work with you on your particular concerns? Does the provider offer services that are appropriately extensive, immediate, or specialized?
  • Where is the provider located and how would you get there? Is public transportation or parking available?
  • What are the provider's fees or charges? Will the provider accept your insurance? If the services are not covered on insurance, or the insurance has limited coverage, what are your payment options? What will the payment arrangements be if you exhaust your insurance benefits?
  • Personal preferences. With whom would you be most comfortable speaking (therapist gender, someone with a cultural or linguistic background, etc.)? How important are these preferences to you?

Many services and resources that are not available on campus are readily available in the surrounding community. These include, for example: formal psychological, psychiatric, or neurological evaluations; intensive or extensive outpatient psychotherapy; specialized treatment programs such as for alcohol or drug treatment or eating disorders; and inpatient or day-treatment programs. You may meet with an SCC counselor to arrange for referral assistance if you already have an idea of the services of care you need.


For the UMB United Healthcare student insurance:


For any and all insurances:

For all insurances and across the country, you can visit Psychology Today. Input your zip code and insurance to find qualified providers in your area. Psychology Today has a provider profile for each clinician. View clinician profiles to answer some of the above questions in your search:

For psychiatrists or medication management services, you can use Psychology Today or Maryland Psychiatric Society's webpage:


International Providers:

Psychology Today is used in multiple countries across the world, including the U.S., Canada, Mexico, United Kingdom, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Ireland, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Australia, Hong Kong, New Zealand, Singapore, Chile, and South Africa. Psychology Today also has psycho-educational resources available in multiple languages:

Other countries may have their own version of Psychology Today. Please check them out below. If you know of another international resource for finding a provider, please let us know so that we can add it to our website.


Questions To Ask Your Insurance Company

Services may be covered in full or in part by your health insurance or employee benefit plan. Please check your coverage carefully by calling your insurance company. Consider starting by indicating that you are calling to find out your “in and out of network benefits.” This should help you to be forwarded to the correct department.  Once you get there, here are some questions to get you started:

  1. Do I have mental health benefits?
  2. Do I have in and out of network benefits?
  3. What is my deductible and has it been met?
  4. How much does my plan cover for an out-of-network provider?
    • If you are told that it is a percentage (i.e., 80%), ask “What is the allowed amount per visit?”
      • Tell them you would like to know the allowed amount for the following procedure codes:

        Diagnostic Interview/Initial Appointment (CPT 90791)

        Individual Therapy (CPT 90834 and 90837)

        Family Therapy (CPT 90847)

        When the appointments are for Psychological and PsychoEducational Testing

        Psychological Test Administration and Scoring (CPT 96136 and 96137- 30 minute units)

        Psychological Interpretation, Integration, Treatment Planning, Report and Interactive Feedback (CPT 96130 and 96131 – 30 minute units)

  5. How many sessions per calendar year does my plan cover?
  6. What is the address I should use when submitting claims?
  7. Is there a treatment plan form that the psychologist needs to complete?  If so, what is the fax number to send the completed form?
    • Can the form be emailed to the subscriber?