What type of COVID-19 test must I get?

August 7, 2020

This information has been archived. Some or all of the information below is no longer accurate.

You must get a COVID-19 diagnostic test. This type of test will show if you have an active coronavirus infection. Currently there are two types of diagnostic tests: molecular tests, such as RT-PCR tests, that detect the virus’ genetic material, and antigen tests that detect specific proteins on the surface of the virus.

UMB recommends you get a molecular test since antigen tests are currently less accurate. However, UMB will accept a negative test result for either a molecular or an antigen test.

UMB will NOT accept a positive or negative COVID-19 antibody test result.

Please see this Food and Drug Administration flyer on Coronavirus Testing Basics for more information on COVID-19 testing.