- Academic Affairs
- Administration and Finance
- Center for Health and Homeland Security
- Center for Information Technology Services
- Communications and Public Affairs
- Community Engagement
- Government Affairs
- Human Resource Services
- Office of Philanthropy
- Operations and Planning
- Police and Public Safety
- President's Office
- Research and Development
- University Counsel
Creating a New Account
This document contains instructions on how to create your GoogleApps@UMaryland account. GoogleApps@UMaryland email addresses end with the @umaryland.edu domain.
Students can either select a suggested email address or create a custom email address.
Once an email address is set up, it cannot be changed. Students should select a professionally appropriate email address. This email address will be used as the primary email address at the University of Maryland.
- Once you have received notification that you are eligible to create your GoogleApps@UMaryland account, Go to the UMB Account Management Site.
You need a UMID and Password to create your GoogleApps@UMaryland account.
If you have a UMID and Password, enter your UMID and click on the Submit button.
If you do not have a UMID and Password, see the New User, Set Up Account page.
- Enter your Password and click on the Submit button.
- If you have not set up your Security Image and Security Phrase, you will see the following screens. If you have set up your Security Image and Security Phrase, go to step 8.
- Select a Security Image.
NOTE: You will be selecting a Security Image and a Security Phrase. These items have been added to the Account Management Site to help deter phishing attempts. Once selected, you will not be able to change them.
- The image you selected will be displayed at the bottom of the screen (in this example, the crab was selected). Click on the “Set Security Image” button.
- Enter a Security Phrase. It cannot contain any leading or trailing spaces. The phrase must start and end with a letter. In this example, the phrase is “The Maryland Blue Crab”. Click on the “Set Security Phrase” button.
NOTE: The Security Image and Security Phrase will display each time you log into the myUM Account Management Site for your security verification.
- Your Security Image and Security Phrase will display. Click on the “Continue” button.
- The system should automatically bring you to the GoogleApps@UMaryland Account Setup page.
- Select your preferred email address. You can either choose a suggested email address or create a custom address.
NOTE: Once an email address is set up, it cannot be changed.
Please choose an address that is professionally appropriate. This email address will be your primary email address at the University of Maryland.
The system will display a few suggested email addresses. If you want one of these addresses, click on the “Select” button next to that address.
Creating your own address
If you do not want one of the suggested email addresses, you can create your own address.
The email address must meet the following requirements:
- Must be between 3 and 20 characters
- Can only contain
- Underscore ( _ )
- Period ( . )
- Hyphen ( - )
a) To set up a custom email address, enter your desired email address in the text box. Do not include “@umaryland.edu”.
b) Click on the “Check Availability” button.
If the address you entered is not available, the system will give you the option to enter another address or select a suggested email address.
- The system will display a screen to verify your requested email address.
If you want to create the email address, click on the Set Mail Address button.
If you want to select another email address, click on the Search Again button.
Remember, once you set your email address, it cannot be changed!
- The system will display a confirmation screen. Your GoogleApps@UMaryland account has been created. Any new mail being sent to you will be received in this account and your GoogleApps@UMaryland account is ready to be used.
- Click on the Continue button to see your UM Account details.
- Click on the “Log Off” button.
- Access your GoogleApps@UMaryland account by going to Gmail and signing on with your UMID and Password.
- If you use Mobile Sync or IMAP/POP to configure your client, go to here for instructions.
For questions about the Creating Your GoogleApps@UMaryland or these instructions, call the IT Help Desk at 410-706-HELP (4357) or send an email.