- Academic Affairs
- Accountability and Compliance
- Administration and Finance
- Center for Health and Homeland Security
- Center for Information Technology Services
- Communications and Public Affairs
- Community Engagement
- Government Affairs
- Human Resource Services
- Office of Philanthropy
- Operations and Planning
- UMB Police Department
- President's Office
- Research and Development
- University Counsel
FY 2017-2021 Strategic Plan
Themes and Strategic Outcomes
Information Technology Goals
- Assess the state of technology available to West Baltimore community residents where UMB is engaged by June 30, 2018. Develop and execute a strategy with UMB stakeholders by June 30, 2019, to address any deficiencies with technology to support UMB's health, legal, and social work programs in those areas. (Theme 1. Health, Justice and Social Impact, Strategic Outcome number 1.)
- Assess the state of technology available to global communities where UMB is engaged by June 30, 2018. Develop and execute a strategy with UMB stakeholders by June 30, 2019, to address any deficiencies with technology to support UMB's health, legal, and social work programs in those areas. (Theme 1. Health, Justice and Social Impact, Strategic Outcome number 2.)
- Evaluate annual statistics of network utilization and capacity, and collaborate and coordinate with school and department personnel to make strategic investments in the network infrastructure to ensure adequate network transmission capacity for innovative research, scholarship and clinical sciences initiatives. (Theme 2. Research and Scholarship, Strategic Outcome number 1.)
- Work with a University team to develop a plan and strategy by June 30, 2018 that would identify and recommend an infrastructure(s) for storing, managing, and accessing research data. This goal is building on the Research Data Management Policy and is the second phase of the IT Stakeholder initiative to develop “A Comprehensive Research Data Management Plan and Strategy”. (Theme 2. Research and Scholarship, Strategic Outcome Number 1.)
- Leverage the IT Stakeholder initiative, “Expanding Resources for Faculty Teaching and Learning with Technology”, and prepare a report of recommendations by June 30, 2018 that would identify strategies for professional development and promote innovative uses of technology in teaching and scholarship within and across schools and programs through FY 2021. (Theme 3. Student Success, Strategic Outcome Number 2.)
- Collaborate with school instructional technology personnel as well as with budget and finance personnel in developing a campus-wide instructional technology infrastructure plan by June 30, 2018, and make strategic investments in the instructional technology infrastructure as needed in subsequent years. (Theme 6. Efficiency, Effectiveness, and Assessment, Strategic Outcome Number 2.)
- Increase University knowledge of contemporary productivity tools and applications, such as Microsoft Office 365, as well as knowledge of information security best practices and business and academic systems by offering education and training opportunities to the University community each year through FY 2021. (Theme 4. Inclusive Excellence, Strategic Outcome Number 1.)
- Continue to partner with UMB schools and departments and affiliated entities such as UMMS and FPI to collaboratively assess risks, seek vulnerabilities and collectively recommend resolutions to any found vulnerability(s) through FY 2021. Prepare an annual Information Security Collaborative report addressing the vulnerabilities and the actions undertaken to mitigate the risks. (Theme 6. Efficiency, Effectiveness, and Assessment, Strategic Outcome Number 2.)
- Collaborate with colleagues at USM institutions, other Maryland higher education institutions and K – 12 schools in leveraging aggregated and collective buying power for IT technologies and services, including via the Maryland Education Enterprise Consortium (MEEC), and communicate any new cost-effective IT agreements via the Elm Weekly and on UMB websites during each year through FY 2021. (Theme 5. Partnership and Collaboration, Strategic Outcome Number 1.)
- Collaborate with UMB and UMCP colleagues to develop and implement a mutual strategic plan in FY 2017 which includes project goals and action items for greater IT alignment, cooperation and collaboration between UMB and UMCP. Prepare reports showing progress and outcomes through FY 2021. (Theme 5. Partnership and Collaboration, Strategic Outcome Number 2.)
- Expand a common communications infrastructure throughout the University, including completing the deployment of Microsoft Office 365 and investigate the acquisition and implementation of additional communication and collaboration tools in FY 2018 and beyond. (Theme 6. Efficiency, Effectiveness, and Assessment, Strategic Outcome Number 2.)
- Partner with Administration and Finance and UMB schools and departments to develop and implement a financial system that will provide a strategic and streamlined approach to financial analyses by enabling data analytics and new reporting solutions for schools and departments. This new system is targeted to “go live” in FY 2019. (Theme 6. Efficiency, Effectiveness, and Assessment, Strategic Outcome Number 1.)
- From FY 2017-2021, build-out the identity management infrastructure to maximize user access to systems through the use of a single set of credentials. (Theme 6. Efficiency, Effectiveness, and Assessment, Strategic Outcome Number 2.)
- Achieve compliance with the latest version of the USM IT security standards and the Office of Legislative Audits information security requirements by June 30, 2018. (Theme 6. Efficiency, Effectiveness, and Assessment, Strategic Outcome Number 2.)
- Coordinate IT Help Desk operations by completing the implementation of the shared ticketing application initiative by June 30, 2017, and having the Helpdesk Steering Committee identify new opportunities for strengthening service through an annual assessment of IT Help Desk service indicators and operations. (Theme 6. Efficiency, Effectiveness, and Assessment, Strategic Outcome Number 2.)
- Expand and promote cultural competence in the Center for Information Technology Services (CITS) by celebrating a climate of diversity and inclusion and inviting a member(s) of the UMB Diversity Advisory Council to speak at an all-staff meeting each year, from FY 2018 to FY 2021. (Theme 4. Inclusive Excellence, Strategic Outcome Number 4.)
- Promote knowledge, expertise and career development in CITS by encouraging every staff member to attend at least one professional development opportunity during each year through FY 2021 and beyond. Complete an annual report that shows the CITS staff professional development activities. (Theme 4. Inclusive Excellence, Strategic Outcome Number 1.)
- Administer a Center for Information Technology Services (CITS) satisfaction survey in fall 2018 and in fall 2021 and every third year thereafter, to assess the degree to which faculty, staff and students are satisfied with the array of services provided by electronic systems and staff operations so that we can identify areas in which we are succeeding, point to the services we need to improve, and highlight the areas in which we need to offer new services. (Theme 6. Efficiency, Effectiveness, and Assessment, Strategic Outcome Number 1.)
Theme 1. HEALTH, JUSTICE, AND SOCIAL IMPACT
Strategic Objective: Deepen and expand local and global engagement by providing health, legal, and social work programs, and engaging in research to promote social justice and improve health
- A strong relationship with the Baltimore community in which UMB is viewed as a local resource and trusted partner by its residents.
- A focused leveraging of institutional expertise and knowledge to tackle systemic problems impacting local and global communities.
- A demonstrated commitment by leadership at every level of the institution that positions UMB as an anchor institution at the forefront of finding solutions to local and global health disparities and social injustices.
- A University environment that encourages the use of evidence to measure and document impact of UMB’s health, legal, social work programs.
- A University culture that values and rewards its faculty, staff, and students for achievements in local and global community engagement.
Theme 2. RESEARCH AND SCHOLARSHIP
Strategic Objective:Harness the power of research and scholarship to deepen understanding of systems, institutions, and basic and translational sciences in the search for solutions to complex problems impacting individuals, families, and communities.
- Strategic investment that enhances the core research infrastructure allowing UMB to achieve its research goals and compete more successfully for extramural funding.
- An environment that attracts and retains the best educators, scientists, scholars, clinicians, and entrepreneurs across all disciplines.
- Additional interdisciplinary centers of excellence that fully leverage the expertise of the UMB faculty across schools and programs.
- A productive discovery-to-delivery research model that serves as a catalyst for economic development.
- An increase in sponsored research funding that bolsters UMB’s standing as a first-class public research university.
- A robust and dedicated research agenda related to UMB’s community engagement activities.
Theme 3. STUDENT SUCCESS
Strategic Objective: Design contemporary teaching and learning environments that are accessible and affordable to prepare students to be exemplary professionals and leaders in society.
- Academic programs and offerings that are affordable and accessible to Maryland’s residents of all races, ethnicities, and income levels.
- Policies and practices that encourage and support innovation and experimentation with emerging approaches to teaching and learning.
- Experiential learning opportunities that allow a greater number of students to integrate their education with activities promoting leadership and advocacy skills.
- Innovative curricular and co-curricular initiatives that multiply pathways to diverse careers and leadership opportunities inside and outside of academia.
- A demonstrated commitment to interdisciplinary faculty development to spotlight, celebrate, and scale exemplary pedagogical approaches.
Theme 4. INCLUSIVE EXCELLENCE
Strategic Objective:Foster an environment that recognizes and values each member of the UMB community, enabling members to function at their highest potential to achieve their personal and professional goals.
- Opportunities at UMB that enable faculty, staff, and trainees to excel and advance in their careers.
- Faculty, staff, trainees, and students who are culturally competent in their engagement with each other and those they serve and lead.
- Access to a comprehensive support network at UMB that is responsive and nurturing in promoting work-life and academic-life balance for faculty, staff, trainees, and students.
- An inclusive environment that embraces, celebrates, and promotes UMB’s diversity.
Theme 5. PARTNERSHIP AND COLLABORATION
Strategic Objective: Collaborate internally and externally to provide impactful education, services and expertise to benefit Maryland and society at large.
- Productive and mutually beneficial relationships with USM institutions, business, government, K – 12 education, arts, and others, to advance Baltimore and Maryland’s economic goals.
- A strategic partnership with University of Maryland College Park that can be viewed as a regional and national model of collaboration between distinct institutions with complementary missions.
- An effective partnership, as a Baltimore City anchor institution, with surrounding communities resulting in meaningful and sustainable educational, employment, and economic opportunities that serve as a catalyst for community empowerment.
- Wide recognition as a thought-leader and state-wide resource on policy and legislative initiatives aimed at improving the health, legal, and social wellbeing of Maryland’s residents.
Theme 6. EFFICIENCY, EFFECTIVENESS, AND ASSESSMENT
Strategic Objective: Incentivize efficiency, effectiveness, and evaluation to make more responsible and impactful use of UMB’s resources.
- Schools and administrative units with enhanced measures to evaluate the effectiveness of their programs and that use data to inform improvements.
- A University that is perceived, internally and externally, as an institution that uses best business and operating practices to realize greater efficiency and effectiveness in the stewardship of its resources.
- A philanthropic identity that includes a culture of giving which augments and complements UMB’s other resources and supports the strategic needs of the university and its schools.
- An institutional effectiveness program that routinely disseminate key organizational data to promote transparency and inform decision making.