The Writing Center’s Norms & Policies
Tutorials will not last longer than 50 minutes.
Students may sign up for two appointments per week but no more than one appointment per day.
No Show Policy
If students fail to show up for their appointments, they will be counted as no-shows. After three no-shows, students will not be able to make appointments for the rest of the semester. Students are not permitted to give/transfer appointment times to other students.
Students have until two hours before their appointment to cancel their scheduled tutorial. After this point, all cancellations will be counted as no-shows.
You must be a registered UM student or Postdoctoral Student to use the appointment services of the Writing Center.
The following types of writing are excluded from assistance:
- Any writing in which the student is not an author (e.g., work written by a family member or another student)
- Any writing that is a take-home assignment or part of a take-home examination
No information about student use of the Writing Center will be shared unless required by law. All writing services are confidential.
Consultants will not
- Complete the student’s work or offer ideas regarding writing content.
- Edit papers without discussion or over phone or email.
- Predict a student's grade.
- Work with a student either outside of the Writing Center or outside of the consultant's scheduled work hours.