Intramural Frequently Asked Questions
The following is a list of common questions regarding Intramural Sports at the University of Maryland. Students and participants are strongly encouraged to read the Rules and Regulations for all policies and procedures.
How do I register for an Intramural Sport?
- Participants looking to put a team together for Intramural Sports must register online. Registration instructions can be found on the Registration page.
Who is eligible to play Intramural Sports?
- UM Students and current members with a URecFit SMC Campus Center membership are eligible to participate in any of the intramural sports throughout the year, except for Flag Football (Current Students Only). Participants must maintain an active membership thoughout the length of the league or tournament. Anyone wishing to play who is not eligible for URecFit membership maybe sponsored by a current UM student or member.
What if I’m eligible for membership but do not have a membership, can I still play an IM Sport?
- For individuals who are eligible for URecFit membership at the SMC Campus Center but do not have one, an IM Sports Pass is available for purchase for each league sport. The pass is required in addition to the sport entry fee. With the IM Pass, you will gain access to the SMC Campus Center during game times. For day events or tournaments, individuals who are not a member can pay the day membership fee to gain access to the facility and participate. The IM Sports Pass can be purchased at the business desk.
How can I participate in Intramural Sports if I don’t have a team?
- Free agents can register on our IMleagues site. Captains looking for extra players will be able to view all free agents that are available to play during their timeslot.
Is there a captain’s meeting?
- Captain’s are not required to attend a captain's meeting. However, captains must complete an online quiz via IMLeagues and score a 80% or better to register for our larger leagues. Participants must also complete a 5 question quiz with a score of 80% or higher to join a team.
Is there a uniform requirement?
- Some sports require participants to have the same color jersey as their teammates complete with a number. These can be checked out from the Intramural Sports Supervisor at the game site.
Do I need to provide my own equipment?
- Intramural Sports does provide some equipment such as basketballs, jerseys, volleyballs etc. Captains will be notified if they need to provide additional equipment before the event. Participants are always welcome to bring their own equipment. All players do need to bring a photo ID to every game!
NO ID = NO PLAY.
How do I know if Intramural games are cancelled?
- Call the Pratt Gymnasium at 410-706-7528 after 4pm the day of your game for weekday games, after 9am for weekend games.
What is the purpose of the sportsmanship rating?
- We are encouraging fair and fun play in intramural sports. Our mission is to allow participants to enjoy friendly competition in a safe atmosphere. A team’s sportsmanship rating average is also used to determine playoff seeding. Regulating and monitoring each team’s sportsmanship rating is a way to promote that type of behavior.
Where can I access the Intramural Rules and Regulations?
- The Intramural rules and regualtions can be viewed at anytime on IMLeagues and are also avaliable in PDF format HERE
I have additional questions, who can I contact?
- Email IMSports@umaryland.edu or call 410.706.5857