UM Hispanic Association of Nursing Students
September 14, 2004 / 11am
Guest Speaker: Cory Grzymala with the Governor's Commission on Hispanic Affairs
State of Maryland Governor's Commission on Hispanic Affairs
311 W. Saratoga Street, Baltimore, MD 21201
800 714 8813
1. New HANS website: http://www.umaryland.edu/umhans, and new email address: HANS@list.umaryland.edu
2. Faculty advisor information: Bettina Lee, firstname.lastname@example.org, 410-706-0238, office room 662
3. Sally Raphel, from PAHO (Pan American Health Organization) Collaborating Center at the school of nursing is in need of volunteers on Tuesdays or Thursdays to answer the phone, do administrative work, respond to email, and translate email from Spanish to English. Her number is 410-706-3449 and her email is Raphel@son.umaryland.edu. You can volunteer as much or as little time as you want.
Sally Raphel (center)
4. 23rd Annual Festival Hispaño, Sunday September 19th 12 pm-6 pm, Lane Manor Park, 7601 West Park Drive & University Boulevard, Adelphi
5. The Governor's Commission on Hispanic Affairs Presents: Latino Night at Camden Yards, September 24th from 5:30 to 10:30 pm. Tickets are $10 and the Orioles will contribute $5 from every sale to the Hispanic Apostolate/Immigration Legal Services, a Catholic Charities agency in East Baltimore. Website for information: http://www.marylandhispanics.org/events/09242004.htm.
6. La Plaza Hispaña, which is in conjunction with the Fells Point Fun Festival, is on October 2nd and 3rd. EBLO is in need of volunteers for set-up on Saturday and clean-up on Sunday and to work at the Information booth on Saturday and Sunday. The Festival is from 11am-7pm.
7. Race for the Cure with UMANS-October 9th. Register online at www.Komenmd.org under the team name University of Maryland Association of Nursing Students-Deadline September 26th at 7 pm.
8. “Break through to Nursing” with UMANS (Contact persons: Sara Donaldson at email@example.com, Mairen Holland at firstname.lastname@example.org). First event is coming up in October. I will keep interested people updated on exact day.
9. Baltimore City Health Department and the syphilis elimination project with Johns Hopkins University (Contact person: Summer email@example.com)
10. SALUD cultural competency workshops (http://www.jhu.edu/salud/) are tentatively planned for October.
11. Future projects with Medical Education Cooperation with Cuba (MEDICC) www.medicc.org (on hold for now), movie night at the student center, and more.