- Academic Affairs
- Administration and Finance
- Center for Health and Homeland Security
- Center for Information Technology Services
- Communications and Public Affairs
- Development and Alumni Relations
- Government Affairs
- Human Resource Services
- Office of Community Engagement
- Operations and Planning
- Office of the President
- Police and Public Safety
- Research and Development
- University Counsel
Frequently Asked Questions
The UMB Staff Senate is a body that represents exempt and non-exempt/excluded UMB staff from all over the campus as an advisory body to the President and senior leadership on matters concerning staff.
Since 1994, the UMB Staff Senate has advised the President’s Office and senior leadership on policies, procedures, and issues that affect your quality of life as a UMB staff member.
Besides salary, many issues affect quality of life on campus for staff. These include, but are not limited to:
- Campus security
- State policies affecting campus staff
- Affordable child care
- Campus life
- Community outreach
- Work-life strategies
Every spring, UMB staff can vote for representatives across campus. Your elected Staff Senators and alternates also serve on or are liaisons to various campus committees. We meet on a monthly basis at various locations around campus. Most of our meetings are open to the public unless otherwise noted.
Currently there are 20 voting members of the Staff Senate and beginning in July 2016, we will have representation from all the schools here on campus.
Our Executive Committee consists of a President, Vice-President, Secretary, Member at Large and the Past-President.
Your Staff Senators work on your behalf in a variety of subcommittees to research, advocate, and advise senior leadership as they make decisions regarding sustainability, child care, parking, safety, and more. We have several standing committees: Community Outreach, Communications, Policy/Legislation and University Life. For more information on all Staff Senate committees and campus wide committees we either serve on or have liaisons to, please click here.
Connecting with the Staff Senate is a good way to make your voice heard.
- “Like” us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/umstaffsenate
- “Follow” us on Twitter: @UMStaffSenate
- Email us: http://www.umaryland.edu/ssenate/contact_us/suggest.html - if you would like your comments to be anonymous this email link allows for that.
Most staff are automatically added to an email list upon employment at UMB, but it helps to connect more informally on Facebook, etc., where other staff also are connected.
Please note that it is acceptable for staff to be on Facebook in moderation, and your personal profile is not made any more visible to us nor others when you “like” us.
You can be involved informally or formally in these ways:
- Participate and engage in conversations on Facebook and Twitter pages, “like” our posts, and spread the word to your colleagues so they can be connected.
- Volunteer for one of our events or contribute to our community outreach projects.
- Be involved as a staff senate volunteer—this is a great way to try us out, do something positive to serve our campus, and meet people all over the campus.
- Nominate yourself for election as a staff senator and join the fun! Anyone can run for the staff senate, although there are more exempt seats than non-exempt/excluded seats. Staff senators serve two-year terms.