- Academic Affairs
- Administration and Finance
- Center for Health and Homeland Security
- Center for Information Technology Services
- Communications and Public Affairs
- Development and Alumni Relations
- Government Affairs
- Human Resource Services
- Office of Community Engagement
- Operations and Planning
- Office of the President
- Police and Public Safety
- Research and Development
- University Counsel
NIH Public Access Policy
The NIH Policy on Enhancing Public Access to Archived Publications Resulting from NIH-Funded Research is mandatory for investigators with NIH awards, whether grants or contracts, as well as NIH funding via a subaward from another organization.
The Health Sciences and Human Services Library supports researchers throughout the compliance process. A faculty librarian can check your NIH compliance status, assist you in the steps needed to be compliant, provide one-on-one consultations or offer a workshop to your group. See step-by-step instructions for becoming compliant or contact a faculty librarian.
Presentation: Compliance enforcement and RPPR (April 2013)
- Policy applies to grants active any time during the period 10/1/07-present
- Policy applies to contracts executed on or after 4/7/08
- Policy applies to peer-reviewed articles arising from work funded by the awards described, and accepted for publication on or after 4/7/08
- Policy applies to citations in the biosketch, to publications cited in the bibliography/references section for NIH grants, to publications listed Progress Report Publication List for renewal grant applications, and to publications cited in progress and final reports.
- The My NCBI tool has replaced eRA Commons for bibliography management.
- Articles will be made publicly available through PubMed Central
Submit the final, peer-reviewed manuscript including all graphics and supplemental materials to the NIH Manuscript Submission System; PI must verify and approve according to site instructions.
OR, submit to a journal that has agreed to submit the final, peer-reviewed article to PubMed Central; PI must still ensure that the publication is made publicly accessible within 12 months after the publication date.
- NIH Public Access information pages - instructions, training, a list of journals that submit articles to PubMed Central, and an FAQ on the policy
- Guidance on complying with the "final peer-reviewed manuscript" requirement
- Publisher policies on NIH-funded authors - wiki-type resource of publisher policies related to open access and the NIH requirement
- NOT-OD-05-022 - Policy on Enhancing Public Access to Archived Publications Resulting from NIH-funded Research
- NOT-OD-08-033 - Revised Policy on Enhancing Public Access to Archived Publications Resulting from NIH-funded Research
- NOT-OD-09-136 - Clarification on the Use of an NIHMSID to Indicate Compliance with the NIH Public Access Policy
- NOT-OD-10-009 - Until further notice, only papers written in Latin script will be collected via the NIH Manuscript Submission System for the NIH Public Access Policy
- NOT-OD-09-071 - The Omnibus Appropriations Act of 2009 Makes the NIH Public Access Policy Permanent
- NOT-OD-10-103 - My NCBI Tool to Replace eRA Commons for Bibliography Management
- NOT-OD-12-160 - Upcoming Changes to Public Access Policy Reporting Requirements and Related NIH Efforts to Enhance Compliance
- NOT-OD-13-020 - Public Access Compliance Monitor: A New Resource for Institutions to Track Public Access Compliance
- NOT-OD-13-017 - eRA Commons Users Can Now Generate a Publications Report for the PHS 2590 with My NCBI
- NOT-OD-13-035 - NIH Requires Use of RPPR for All SNAP and Fellowship Progress Reports, and Expands RPPR Functionality
- NOT-OD-13-042 - Changes to Public Access Policy Compliance Efforts Apply to All Awards with Anticipated Start Dates on or after July 1, 2013
- NOT-OD-15-090 - Reporting Publications in the Research Performance Progress Report (RPPR)
- NOT-OD-15-091 - Clarifying Publication Reporting Instructions for Research Performance Progress Reports (RPPR) and Renewal Applications
- NOT-OD-16-085 - Reporting Instructions for Publications Supported by Shared Resources in Research Performance Progress Reports (RPPR) and Renewal Applications