- Academic Affairs
- Administration and Finance
- Center for Health and Homeland Security
- Center for Information Technology Services
- Communications and Public Affairs
- Community Engagement
- Government Affairs
- Human Resource Services
- Office of Philanthropy
- Operations and Planning
- Police and Public Safety
- President's Office
- Research and Development
- University Counsel
Safety Tips for Students from the Universities at Shady Grove
March 08, 2017
Many from the Universities at Shady Grove (USG) visit the University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB) campus for clinical or practicum experiences. So it is important that you are aware of the resources available at UMB to make your experience the safest one possible.
The urban downtown environment at UMB differs somewhat from the suburban feel found at USG in Rockville. Though UMB has a sterling safety record, Shady Grove students and faculty visiting the downtown campus can benefit by following these tips from the UMB Police Force.
- The first and most important resource to ensure safety is you. The vast majority of crime that happens on UMB’s campus is related to cell phone use. As you know, cell phones, and the materials they’re made with, are very expensive and are easy targets for potential theft. While walking around the streets, keep your cell phone hidden and don’t wear your headphones or earbuds. Never allow a stranger to use your cell phone.
- Stay aware of your surroundings. Don’t utilize alley shortcuts and stick to well-lit streets.
- Keep your belongings close to you and never leave your property unattended.
- Subscribe to UMB Alerts. You will receive text messages with important safety updates.
- Travel in pairs or groups, especially after dark. If you’re alone and don’t feel safe, call for a UMB police escort (6-6882 or 410-706-6882). This service is one that will ensure that you have a police escort physically present with you to your destination. Van and foot patrols with uniformed officers are available for individuals and groups. Have your Shady Grove ID on hand.
- Familiarize yourself with ways to contact the police. Their number is 410-706-3333 (or 711 from an on-campus phone).
- Examine your parking options before coming to UMB, and try to park as close to your destination as possible (see garage list and times) and know your route (campus map). Looking lost can attract you to thieves looking for vulnerable targets. All UMB parking garages are open to visitors at a visitor rate. Students must have their student ID linked and a permit to receive the student discount. Students with classes during weekdays before 4 p.m. must park at Lexington Street Garage to receive the student rate. Those linked to UMB’s parking system and a permit can utilize any of the garages after 4 p.m. on weekdays and those garages that are open on weekends. Any questions or ADA accessibility accommodations, please contact Parking and Transportation Services between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. weekdays at 410-706-5518 or visit the website.
- Lock your car. Don’t leave anything of value in plain sight.
The UMB Police Force is committed to the safety of the UMB community and its guests. Help it help you and enjoy a meaningful — and safe — visit. For more safety tips, visit the UMB Public Safety website.