- Academic Affairs
- Administration and Finance
- Center for Health and Homeland Security
- Center for Information Technology Services
- Communications and Public Affairs
- Office of Philanthropy
- Government Affairs
- Human Resource Services
- Office of Community Engagement
- Operations and Planning
- Office of the President
- Police and Public Safety
- Research and Development
- University Counsel
Transfer a Grant to UMB
Address key steps for moving a sponsored project (grant or other award) to the University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB) with an incoming investigator.
Investigators new to UMB and transferring a sponsored project from another organization. When an investigator transfers to UMB from another organization, the investigator may have a sponsored project that will transfer with them to UMB.
For additional information, please review the Sponsored Programs Administration (SPA) website on Moving to UMB.
- Register for a Kuali Coeus user account, (see Kuali Coeus User Access procedure). UMB uses Kuali Coeus software for proposal development and routing.
- If a User Account is needed before moving to UMB, work with your UMB Department Administrator who will need to add you to the Community System as an Affiliate before the Kuali Coeus User Account can be created.
- Follow the eCommons Access and NSF Fastlane Access procedures to affiliate your existing account with UMB in these systems, if required for the transferring sponsored project(s).
- Provide information to your UMB department administrator about sponsored projects that will be transferred to UMB. You may also contact the SPA Team assigned to your UMB department/school to ask questions or provide information, but in most cases a department administrator coordinates the transfer.
- Follow Register for CICERO procedure if your work involves human subject research, animal research, or use of infectious agents, select agents, pathogens, recombinant DNA or RNA. Contact the relevant office for information about required training and for assistance with protocol preparation and submission.
- Working with the department administrator:
- Enter information in Kuali Coeus for approval routing for each transferring project;
- Prepare a budget for each transferring project, including UMB facilities and administrative (F&A) costs and fringe benefit rates. When the budget is created in Kuali Coeus, the system automatically applies the current rates;
- Identify subrecipients, if any, related to the project, and include them in the proposal and budget in Kuali Coeus. Remember that a subaward may need to be issued to your former institution if there is ongoing project work by a co-investigator; and
- Respond to questionnaires in Kuali Coeus and approve the proposal as part of the submission process.
- Follow sponsor instructions for submission of the transfer proposal, electronically or otherwise.
- Typically, the sponsor will require information about UMB, its facilities as related to the project, a budget for the transfer amount, and information about changes to the project or assurance that the project will be completed as proposed.
- A pre-award spending account may be appropriate. Work with your department administrator to submit a request that would allow the Project ID to be set up and project-related spending to occur before receipt of the transfer award from the sponsor.
- Sponsored Projects Accounting and Compliance (SPAC) will notify Investigator when a Project ID for your transferred project has been set up. The Project ID will be set up on receipt of the transfer award from the sponsor or on approval of the pre-award spending request.