- Academic Affairs
- Administration and Finance
- Center for Health and Homeland Security
- Center for Information Technology Services
- Communications and Public Affairs
- Office of Philanthropy
- Government Affairs
- Human Resource Services
- Office of Community Engagement
- Operations and Planning
- Office of the President
- Police and Public Safety
- Research and Development
- University Counsel
UMB POLICY ON INSPECTION OF PUBLIC RECORDS
Administration | Approved October 1, 2015
(Revisions to State law effective October 1, 2015)
Effective Date: October 1, 2015
- It is the policy of the University of Maryland Baltimore (UMB) that public records regarding the affairs of UMB and the official acts of its officers and employees will be made available for inspection in accordance with the Maryland Public Information Act (MPIA). The MPIA is found in the Maryland General Provisions Article §§ 4- 101 through 4-601, Annotated Code of Maryland.
- The MPIA grants a requester the right to review available records that are not otherwise protected by law and to obtain copies of those records. It does not require UMB to answer informational questions or to create a record to satisfy a request.
- UMB will recover its costs for the actual time expended for the search for, preparation of, and reproduction of records, including labor, and media and mechanical processing costs, to the fullest extent permitted by law.
- A UMB Custodian of Records is a person who has the official responsibility for the maintenance of records requested. The Custodian of Records will be held responsible for compliance with these procedures and the MPIA.
- Deans of Schools and Vice Presidents of campus units will be considered Custodians of Records. Deans and Vice Presidents may designate additional Custodians of Records.
- All requests under the MPIA should be forwarded by the UMB Public Information Act Representative, or the actual recipient of the request, to the appropriate Custodian of Records for handling and response.
- The Custodian of Records should promptly contact University Counsel for advice concerning any request, with exceptions as noted below. University Counsel will review the request with the Custodian of Records to coordinate UMB’s response to the request.
- Exceptions to the requirement to contact University Counsel relate to classes and categories of information previously identified by University Counsel or the Office of the Attorney General as subject to disclosure without legal review.
- Prior review by University Counsel before disclosure of non-routine records in response to MPIA requests is critical because there is much information in University records which is not lawfully available to the public. This may include, but is not limited to, information related to: personnel, clients, patients and students; ongoing research and patent prosecution; business organizations affiliated with UMB that are not State government entities; and third party commercial entities that work with UMB.
Roles and Responsibilities
UMB Public Information Act Representative: Karen Matthews
Business Address: 220 Arch Street, Baltimore, MD 21201
Business Phone: 410-706-2422
Business Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Internet Address of Governmental Unit: www.umaryland.edu