Police Site Header Image

Crime Alert

For Emergencies Phone
711 or 410 706-3333.
TTD/TTY: 410 706-3416

Non-Emergencies Phone
x6-6882 or 410 706-6882.

Move the mouse pointer over the scrolling crime alerts area below to pause the scrolling below.  Also viewable as a non-scrolling page or by smartphones at this link.

Campus Crime Alerts

In compliance with the "Timely Notice" provisions of the federal Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act of 1998 the University Police are giving notice of an incident that was reported to have occurred.

Armed Robbery 100 Block North Greene Street
Campus Related
On October 6, 2014, at approximately 10:28 PM  a female nursing student was walking in the 100 Block of North Greene Street when she was approached by three African American males. One of the males produced a hand gun and took the victims cell phone, duffle bag and twenty dollars. All three supects ran South on Greene Street and then east on Fayette street. The student was not injured during this incident.
This incident is being investigated by the the University of Maryland, Baltimore Police Department and the Baltimore Police Department Central District DDU Unit.

Suspect Information
Suspect # 1 approximately 6 ft, wearing gray sweats, dark hoodie
Suspect # 2 approximately 6 ft, wearing gray sweats, dark hoodie
Suspect # 3 approximately 6 ft, wearing dark nylon sweat pants with a stripe

Safety Tips

  • Travel in groups
  • Utilize the campus escort van and shuttle
  • Be aware of your surroundings
  • Gife up your property and not your life

Attempted  Robbery 500 Block W. Pratt Street
On October 6, 2014, at approximately 7:45 PM, a female University of Maryland Medical Center employee was the victim of an assault/attempted robbery while walking in the 500 block of W. Pratt Street. The victim reported that an African American male came from between two parked cars and attempted to snatch her book bag from her back as she walked by. As the suspect grabbed her book bag the force use caused her to turn around where she was now facing the suspect. The suspect then grabbed the victims face by cupping her chin. No words were exchanged before the suspect ran east on Pratt Street. The suspect did not get the victims property nor was the victim injured.

Suspect Information
# 1 male, 5'9-5'10, 30-40 yrs, average build,wearing blue jeans, flannel shirt,dark hoodie

Safety Tips

  • Walk in groups
  • Use the campus escort or shuttle service
  • Pay attention to your surroundings
  • Give up your property and not your life

Anyone with information or having any knowledge of any incidents is asked to call the University Police Criminal Division at 410.706.3573.

End of Crime Alerts

These crime alerts will repeat.

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I report an incident or suspicious activity?

  • For all emergency incidents, call 410 / 706-3333 or x711.
  • For all non-emergency incidents, call 410 / 706-6882 or x6-6882.

How do I use the escort services?

  • Call the Police Communication Operator at 410 / 706-6882.

What do I do if my ID or Access card is lost or stolen or is not working properly?

  • Report it to the University Police as soon as possible.
  • A new access card can be processed at the One Card Office or call 410 / 706-6943 for details.
  • For other card access questions such as your card not working properly call x6-6882.
  • On nights and weekends call 410 / 706-6882 or you can email dl-upcardaccess@umaryland.edu.

How can I recover lost or found property?

  • Be able to give a verbal or written description of the property.
  • Bring a valid Photo ID.
  • Claim your property within one year and 31 days of University Police having procession of the property.

How can I request University Police or Security for a special event?

How can I get information on weekly crime statistics and safety tips?

  • Call the Crime Occurrences and Personal Safety Line at 410 / 706-2677 (x6-COPS)
  • This line provides a weekly recorded update of campus crime statistics and personal safety tips.

How do I join the RAD (Rape Aggression Defense) Program?

  • Call 410 / 706-5548 for information about scheduled classes.
  • Call the Athletic Center to register at 410 / 706-3902.
  • If you have 10 or more women in your class or department and want to request a special time send a letter to: Assistant Vice President for Public Safety and Chief of Police Antonio Williams, University of Maryland Police Department, 214 North Pine Street, Baltimore, Maryland 21201.

How do I obtain a copy of a Police report?

  • Call 410 / 706-6882 to make this request.
  • Please have your complaint number ready.
  • Fee: $20.00 (check or money order).
  • Staff Review must authorize release of reports.

How do I find out more about UM information as it pertains to the Students Rights-to-Know and the Campus Security Act?

The Student Right-to-Know and the Campus Security Act requires that the University of Maryland make readily available to its students and prospective students the institutional policies concerning campus security, alcohol and drug use, crime prevention, the reporting of crimes, sexual assault, and other matters. This information can be found in the University of Maryland, Police Department's "Safety Begins With You" and the Student Answer Book which is at the address: http://www.umaryland.edu/campuslife/vp/studentanswerbook/

Should you wish to obtain any of the information found in these booklets or the booklets themselves, please send your request along with your name, mailing address, and school name to:

Student Services
Attn: Student Right to Know Request
Southern Management Corporation Campus Center
Suite 302
621 W. Lombard St.
Baltimore, MD 21201

The UM campus crime statistics report includes statistics for the previous three years concerning crimes that occurred on campus; in certain off-campus buildings or property owned or controlled by the University of Maryland; and on public property within, or immediately adjacent to and accessible from, the campus.

How do I look up Sex Offenders in Maryland?

There is a Maryland Sex Offenders Registry in Maryland that is maintained by the Maryland Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services. Sex offenders can be queried by name and zip code.