- Academic Affairs
- Administration and Finance
- Center for Health and Homeland Security
- Center for Information Technology Services
- Communications and Public Affairs
- Office of Philanthropy
- Government Affairs
- Human Resource Services
- Office of Community Engagement
- Operations and Planning
- Office of the President
- Police and Public Safety
- Research and Development
- University Counsel
Petition for Change in Classification for Tuition Purposes
The period to submit a residency petition for the Fall 2017 term has closed and the deadline has passed. The Office of the Registrar will begin accepting residency petitions for the Winter/Spring 2018 terms beginning November 20, 2017.
The Petition for Change in Classification for Tuition Purposes is intended for use by:
- Students who seek a change in residency classification; or
- Those whose status cannot be determined from the information submitted on the initial Application for In-State Classification as part of the admissions process.
If, after reading the VIII-2.70 Policy on Student Classification for Admission and Tuition Purposes of the University System of Maryland, you feel that you have met the university's criteria, you should submit a Petition for Change in Classification for Tuition Purposes (form available at bottom of this page) and all supporting documentation to the Office of the Registrar in accordance with the dates indicated below.
Deadlines for Currently Enrolled Students
|Submission Begin Date*||Deadline to Submit Petition|
|Winter 2018||November 20, 2017||January 2, 2018|
|Spring 2018||November 20, 2017||January 22, 2018|
|Summer 2018||April 23, 2018||May 31, 2018|
|Fall 2018||June 4, 2018||August 27, 2018|
*Please note that any petition and accompanying documentation will be returned to a student unprocessed if it is received prior to the applicable “Submission Begin Date” listed above.
Deadlines for Applicants for Admission (New Students Only)
|Submission Begin Date||Deadline to Submit Petition|
|Winter 2018||Anytime||January 2, 2018|
|Spring 2018||Anytime||January 22, 2018|
|Summer 2018||Anytime||May 31, 2018|
|Fall 2018||Anytime||August 27, 2018|
Instructions for completing the Petition for Change in Classification for Tuition Purposes:
- First, review this checklist to help you prepare your petition.
- Complete all applicable fields. Failure to complete all applicable sections of the petition and submit all required documentation may result in a denial of in-state status.
- Dates should be entered using the MM-DD-YYYY format unless otherwise specified.
- Students filing a petition are required to submit certified copies of Maryland tax returns (if applicable). Click here for more information.
- Please be certain to include all supplemental documentation that is required.
- Your completed petition, signed and dated, should be mailed or personally delivered to the Office of the Registrar located on the 2nd Floor, Suite 240 of the HS/HS Library at 601 West Lombard Street. Your petition will not be accepted in any electronic format. If you mail your petition, be sure to obtain delivery confirmation. Petitions must be postmarked on or prior to the deadline for the term you are submitting a petition.
- The review of the petition and an initial determination of the status may take as long as six (6) weeks, not including subsequent appeals.
- Comptroller of Maryland - request certified copies of Maryland tax returns
- Office of International Services - University of Maryland, Baltimore
- State of Maryland Voter Information - verify or change your voter registration
- State of Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration (MVA)
All inquiries regarding petitions should be directed to the Office of the Registrar by calling 410-706-7480 or sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.