J-1 Exchange Visitor Program

The University of Maryland (UM) is pleased to host students and scholars in its Exchange Visitor program as well as those who are under the program sponsorship of outside agencies and organizations.

A Brief History:

The J-1 Exchange Visitor (EV) program was created by the Fulbright-Hays Act of 1961 to facilitate educational and cultural exchange.  The overall purpose of the Exchange Visitor program, administered by the Department of State (DOS), is to increase mutual understanding through educational and cultural exchange between people of the United States and the world. The exchange programs at UM seek to do this primarily through research, instruction, and study.

The University of Maryland's J-1 program allows for non-clinical instruction, research, and educational exchange.  As a J-1 EV program sponsor, UM is obligated to comply with the U.S. Department of State's procedures and regulations.  The J-1 program is divided into categories which correspond to the purpose of the visit and the proposed activities. 

UM is approved to sponsor the following categories:

  • Short-Term Scholar – Appointments lasting no more than 6 months
  • Professor/Research Scholar – Appointments of a minimum of 3 weeks to a maximum of 5 years
  • Student Interns (see Intern Request Form)
  • Bachelor’s Students
  • Master’s Students
  • Doctoral Students
  • Non-degree Students

Any J-1 Short-Term Scholar, Research Scholar, and Professor who will not be on UM payroll must complete the Visiting Scientist/Scholar Agreement and submit to the Office of Research and Development (ORD) for approval. 

NO staff titles are eligible for J-1 sponsorship.  Departments should consult their dean’s office for an outline of UM appointments and corresponding titles. 

J-1 Short-Term Scholars, Research Scholars and Professors

J-1 Short-Term Scholars, Research Scholars and Professors are limited to employment at UM that is consistent with the intent of their program and their J-1 category. Under certain circumstances, they may be approved for employment at other locations.  This employment, in addition to their activities at UM, must be consistent with their original program objective (i.e. occasional lectures, consultations at other academic institutions) and they must have OIS authorization in writing prior to beginning such employment.

J-1 Students (Bachelor’s, Master’s, Doctoral and Non-Degree Students)

J-1 Students (Bachelor’s, Master’s, Doctoral and Non-Degree Students) may be authorized to work on-campus or off-campus pursuant to Academic Training (AT).