Automatic Visa Revalidation

Returning to the United States from Canada or Mexico on an Expired Visa

Automatic Visa Revalidation allows for re-entry to the U.S. from international travel to Canada or Mexico with an expired visa stamp in your passport. To qualify for re-entry to the U.S. using Automatic Visa Revalidation the following must apply:


  • You have only been in Canada or Mexico for less than 30 days
  • You have with you a current I-94 card stating your valid status (learn about transition to electronic I-94)
  • You do not apply for a U.S. visa while in Canada or Mexico
  • You are not from one of the countries currently considered by the U.S. federal government to be state sponsors of terrorism. You may check your country's status here.

I-94 Card

Beginning April 30, 2013, a paper I-94 card will no longer be issued when you re-enter the U.S. via air or sea. The I-94 admission record is created electronically and maintained in CBP systems. CBP will verify the I-94 electronically to re-validate an expired visa if
the traveler meets the conditions of automatic revalidation. If entry occurred prior to automation, a paper form must be presented in order to comply with validation requirements

For those in F or J status, you must have a valid travel signature on your DS-2019 or I-20 before departing the U.S. Please stop by our office before you leave if you need a new travel signature.

Visa Stamp to ENTER Canada or Mexico
Depending on your country of citizenship, a Canadian or Mexican visa stamp MAY be required for you to enter Canada or Mexico. Please check with the Canadian and/or Mexican embassies to see if you will required a visa stamp to enter either country before scheduling your trip.

Changes of Status and Automatic Revalidation

Automatic visa revalidation also applies to those who originally entered the U.S. in one non-immigrant status and have since changed to another non-immigrant status.

Adjacent Islands excluding Cuba

For those in F or J status, automatic revalidation also allows for travel of less than 30 days to the U.S. adjacent islands.

Click here for CBP's list of Adjacent Islands