Family/Friend Visit Request

This service is for international students or scholars on UM-sponsored visas to request a letter for friends and family who do not qualify for dependent visa status to come to the U.S for a visit. They must apply for a B-1/B-2 Visitor visa or come to the U.S. under the Visa Waiver Program.

The success of the applicant's request for a visa lies in the ability to prove that he or she has no intention of staying permanently in the U.S. There is no guarantee a visa will be issued.

Applicants should be prepared to explain the following points when applying for their visa:
1. The visit to the United States will be temporary.
2. There are adequate funds to cover the cost of transportation and the cost of living in the United States.
3. The visitors have residences outside the United States to which they intend to return.