Initial J-1 Request Process
To initiate the J-1 request process, the J-1 Request Form first needs to be completed. Review the request form instructions before beginning the worksheet. If you will sponsor a visiting student who is currently pursuing a Bachelor's degree, the J-1 Student Intern Request should be completed instead.
- The J-1 Request Form completed with all required supporting documentation
- A copy of the Appointment Letter/Invitation Letter if providing financial support
- A signed VSA agreement if not receiving funding from UM
- Evidence of financial support if not funded by UM
- A copy of the Passport ID page for J-1 and all accompanying dependents
Before the OIS can issue the J visa documents, DS-2019s, we must see sufficient funding to cover the J-1 and any accompanying J-2 dependents. Dependents are classified as a spouse and/or children under the age of 21.
Funding required to qualify for J-1 sponsorship:
- Minimum of $20,000 per year of J-1 sponsorship
- Minimum of $5,000 per accompanying dependent.
- J-1 Request Form Instructions (pdf)
- J-1 Request Form (pdf)
- J-1 Transfer In Form (pdf) for J-1s already in the U.S. in a J program at another institution.
- J-1 Student Intern Request Form (pdf)
- Visiting Scholar/Scientist Agreement (link)
Forward all required documentation to the OIS. After receiving the completed applications we will issue new DS-2019s for the incoming J-1, and any dependents, within 10 business days.