Initial J-1 Request Process

To initiate the J-1 request process, the J-1 Request Form first needs to be completed.  Review the request form instructions before beginning the worksheet. If you will sponsor a visiting student who is currently pursuing a Bachelor's degree, the J-1 Student Intern Request should be completed instead.

Required Paperwork

  • The J-1 Request Form completed with all required supporting documentation
  • A copy of the Appointment Letter/Invitation Letter if providing financial support
  • A signed VSA agreement if not receiving funding from UM
  • Evidence of financial support if not funded by UM
  • A copy of the Passport ID page for J-1 and all accompanying dependents

Financial Requirements

Before the OIS can issue the J visa documents, DS-2019s, we must see sufficient funding to cover the J-1 and any accompanying J-2 dependents. Dependents are classified as a spouse and/or children under the age of 21.

Funding required to qualify for J-1 sponsorship:

  • Minimum of $20,000 per year of J-1 sponsorship
  • Minimum of $5,000 per accompanying dependent.

Frequently Used Forms 

Forward all required documentation to the OIS. After receiving the completed applications we will issue new DS-2019s for the incoming J-1, and any dependents, within 10 business days.