J-1 Categories and Eligibility Requirements

Any J-1 Short-Term Scholar, Research Scholar, and Professor who will NOT be on UM payroll must complete the Visiting Scientist/Scholar Agreement and submit to the Office of Research and Development (ORD) for approval. 

NO staff titles are eligible for J-1 sponsorship. Departments should consult their dean’s office for an outline of UM appointments and corresponding titles.   

UM is approved to sponsor the following categories:

J-1 Professor and Research Scholar Eligibility

The J-1 Research Scholar and Professor categories are intended for qualified international professors and researchers to come to UM for temporary, non-tenure track appointments.  This category is only utilized for Faculty and Fellow appointments. UM sponsors instructors and researchers who have obtained the equivalent of a U.S. Bachelor’s degree or higher.  UM does not have authorization to sponsor EVs who will be involved in direct patient care.  Clinical fellowships and residency programs are not within UM’s scope of J-1 EV sponsorship.

J-1s sponsored by UM may NOT engage in ANY patient contact.

Departments wishing to bring Undergraduate students to the University of Maryland Baltimore to engage in research related activities should consult the Student Intern category.

All J-1 Research Scholars admitted to the U.S. are automatically subject to the ’24-month bar’ on repeat Research Scholar participation.

J-1 Short-Term Scholar Eligibility

The J-1 Short-Term Scholar (STS) category is intended for qualified international professors and researchers to come to UM for temporary, non-tenure track appointments lasting no longer than 6 months.  The objectives of the Short-Term Scholar category are similar to those of the Professor/Research Scholar categories; however, sponsorship in the Short-Term Scholar category cannot be extended beyond six months. 

This category is only utilized for Faculty and Fellow appointments.

The '12-month' and ‘24-month' bars do NOT apply to the Short-Term Scholar category.

J-1 Student Intern Eligibility

Participation in the Student Intern category is available only to international students currently enrolled and pursuing a degree at a postsecondary academic institution outside the U.S.  The U.S. internship must ‘fulfill the educational objectives for his/her current degree program at his/her home institution.’ 

Student Interns may participate in a student internship program for up to 12 months for each international degree/major.  As the J-1 Research Scholar and Short-Term Scholar categories are unavailable for any international that has not yet earned a Bachelor’s degree, the J-1 Student Intern category would be most appropriate for visiting undergraduate students. 

To qualify for the sponsorship using the Student Intern category, the OIS requires a number of supporting documents. For a specific list, please visit our J-1 Student Intern Request (pdf) worksheet.

J-1 Student Eligibility

J-1 students must be fully admitted to the University of Maryland Baltimore through the appropriate admissions office in order to pursue degree-seeking or non-degree-seeking study.

For more information, see J-1 Students

In addition to being fully admitted, they must meet one of the following criteria:

  • They are coming pursuant to an exchange agreement that the University of Maryland Baltimore (or a school of UM) has signed with a foreign institution of higher education.


  • Their studies are primarily funded from the U.S. government, their home country government, an international organization, a bi-national commission of the United States and a foreign country, or the University of Maryland Baltimore.