Why Give to UM
Every student at the University of Maryland (UM) has been the direct beneficiary of the generations of alumni and donors who preceded them. Gifts to UM play an essential role both in sustaining fundamental traditions of excellence in education and in moving the University forward to respond to the needs of today and tomorrow.
Adding to the urgency of our drive to achieve our goals are the challenges presented by decreasing state support. UM is grateful for the public support we receive — without it we would not be the University we are today. However, as with other prestigious public institutions, we now look to the generosity of alumni, corporate and foundation supporters, and friends whose steadfast loyalty and commitment to our cause make UM an outstanding institution. Now, more than ever, it is critical to raise philanthropic support to continue UM's tradition of excellence. We are seeking major gifts, both designated and undesignated, to fund endowments, scholarships, and programs.
Building a New Era in UM History
UM is poised for even greater achievements. This relies on the endowments' long-term growth. Higher investment returns that boost endowment income will fund both existing and new, bold initiatives such as:
- Breaking new ground in scientific discovery
- Preparing a new generation of talented people to lead in a demanding and complex new century
- Extending the international reach of UM's academic and educational programs
Each gift to UM is leveraged as it builds on the strength of the University's intellectual, physical, and financial infrastructure. Alumni, parents, and friends who give to UM can be confident that their contributions will be carefully stewarded and prudently spent.
Many Ways to Help Shape the Future
- Endowment and Capital Gifts open novel avenues of research, bring pre-eminent faculty to campus, and create new venues in which students and faculty learn from and with one another.
- Planned Gifts, such as trusts and bequests, afford each individual the opportunity to leave a meaningful legacy at UM.
- Annual Giving Funds go directly into the operating budget to support teaching and learning, to meet unforeseen challenges, and to provide seed money for important new initiatives.
- Corporate and Foundation Gifts create important partnerships between UM and the philanthropic priorities of the corporation or foundation.