- Academic Affairs
- Administration and Finance
- Center for Health and Homeland Security
- Center for Information Technology Services
- Communications and Public Affairs
- Office of Philanthropy
- Government Affairs
- Human Resource Services
- Office of Community Engagement
- Operations and Planning
- Office of the President
- Police and Public Safety
- Research and Development
- University Counsel
Contractual Employee Healthcare Eligibility
The Affordable Care Act is a federal law that requires most people over the age of 18 to have health and prescription drug insurance or else face IRS tax penalties. If you currently do not have health and prescription drug coverage, you may be eligible to participate in the plans offered by the State as detailed below. If you are not eligible to participate, you can obtain coverage through the Maryland Health Exchange.
Contractual employees of the University are designated as either Contingent Category I or Contingent Category II. Both categories are eligible subsidized health and prescription drug benefit coverage. Contingent Category I employees are not eligible for paid leave. Contingent Category II employees are eligible for the following leave benefits per contract year (pro-rated for contracts (1) less than a full year and/or (2) for part-time employment):
- Ten (10) days of annual leave;
- Five (5) days of sick leave;
- Three (3) personal days;
- Eight (8) holidays to include New Years, Martin Luther King, Jr. Birthday, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, the day after Thanksgiving and Christmas Day.
Health and Prescription Drug Coverage
The State of Maryland will offer subsidized health and prescription drug benefit coverage for contractual employees (and their dependents) who have a current employment contract of at least 3 months in length and are scheduled to regularly work 30 or more hours a week (or an average 130 hours per month or faculty teaching 9 credits or more a semester). The employee will be responsible for paying 25% of the premiums for medical and prescription coverage for themselves and any eligible dependents enrolled. The State of Maryland will subsidize the remaining 75% of the benefit premiums for these benefits. Monthly direct pay billing from DBM will reflect the remaining 25%.
Other Benefit Coverage
Contractual employees who have a current employment contract and work 30 or more hours a week (or an average of 130 hours per month or faculty teaching 9 credits or more a semester) may also elect to enroll in dental coverage, life insurance and accidental death and dismemberment insurance, but will be responsible to pay the full premium for these benefits. Contingent II employees may be eligible for additional assistance for dental coverage from their department.
Contractual Employees Working Less than 30 Hours per Week
Contractual employees working less than 30 hours per week (or less than an average of 130 hours per month), may enroll in the State of Maryland Benefit Plans at the full premium amount with no State subsidy. Contingent II employees who work more than 20 hours but less than 30 hours per week may be eligible to receive assistance from their department.
HOW TO ENROLL
If you are newly eligible for State subsidized healthcare, please visit the Benefits website to view highlights of available benefits. You can print the Contractual/ Variable Hour Employees Health Benefits Enrollment and Change Form from the website to enroll. Benefits for all contractual employees are post-tax. Please contact the Benefits Office at (410)706-2616 if you have further questions.