- Academic Affairs
- Administration and Finance
- Center for Health and Homeland Security
- Center for Information Technology Services
- Communications and Public Affairs
- Development and Alumni Relations
- Government Affairs
- Human Resource Services
- Office of Community Engagement
- Operations and Planning
- Office of the President
- Police and Public Safety
- Research and Development
- University Counsel
Creating a UMID and Password
- Go to the UMB Account Management Site and click on the New User, Set Up Account link.
- Verify your identity
The information you enter must match what is listed on your employee, student, or affiliate record.
- Enter your Last Name
- Enter your Date of Birth (Month, Day, Year)
- Select the option for either the “Last 4 digits of Social Security Number” or the “UM PIN (4 digits)”.
NOTE: If you are an affiliate, Community System member, or your employee or student record does not contain a Social Security Number, you will need to enter a 4-digit UM PIN. The system will not be able to find your account using the last 4 digits of a Social Security Number.
- Enter the Last 4 digits of your Social Security Number or a UM PIN.
- Click the Submit button to search for your account.
- Set up your UMID
The UMID is your self-created username for any UM Authenticated system.
Your UMID may contain letters, numbers, and special characters and must be between 3 and 20 characters in length.
As of July 15, 2013, the UMID may contain letters, numbers and the 3 following special characters (underscore, period and/or dash). The UMID must be between 3 and 20 characters in length.
To set up a UMID:
- Enter your desired UMID and click on the “Check Availability” button.
- If the UMID is available, click on the “Set UMID” button.
NOTE: If you want to search for another UMID, click on the “Search Again” button
- Once you have set up your UMID, the system will display a confirmation page.
Click on the “Continue” button to set up your Secret Question/Answer.
- Set up your Secret Question and Answer
If you ever forget your UMID or Password, you can use the Forgot Password feature on the UM Account Management site.
When you select this option, the system will find your account and then use the Secret Question and Answer you provided to verify your identity.
- By default, the question “What was the name of the street you lived on in the third grade?” appears. Use the drop-down menu to select another verification question.
- Provide an answer to the verification question.
The answer must be between 3 and 32 characters in length.
NOTE: If you use the Forgot Password feature, the system will expect a response that matches this answer exactly, including capitalization and spaces.
- Click on the “Submit” button.
- Once you set up your Secret Question and Answer, you should receive confirmation that your secret question and answer have been written to the directory.
Click the “Continue” button to set up your Password.
- Select a Security Image.
NOTE: You will be selecting a Security Image and a Security Phrase. These items have been added to the Account Management Site to help deter phishing attempts. Once selected, you will not be able to change them.
- The image you selected will be displayed at the bottom of the screen (in this example, the crab was selected). Click on the “Set Security Image” button.
- Enter a Security Phrase. It cannot contain any leading or trailing spaces. The phrase must start and end with a letter. In this example, the phrase is “The Maryland Blue Crab”. Click on the “Set Security Phrase” button.
NOTE: The Security Image and Security Phrase will display each time you log into the UM Account Management Site for your security verification.
- Your Security Image and Security Phrase will display. Click on the “Continue” button.
- Setup your Password
Your Password gives you access to numerous systems across campus. Please create a secure password that meets the following criteria:
- Length between 8 and 32
- At least 1 special character
- At least 1 number
- At least 1 uppercase letter
- At least 1 lowercase letter
- Not equal to UMID
- No more than 2 consecutive identical characters
- No spaces
- Cannot contain the following special characters "
- Password has not been used in the last 10 passwords
- Password has not been used in the last 2 days
- Enter your Password in the “Desired password” and “Confirm password” fields.
- Click on the “Submit” button.
NOTE: You should receive confirmation that your password has been written to the UM Directory. This screen will also show when your password will expire.
- Click on the “Continue” button to return to the UM Account Management home page.
- Click on the “Log Off” button to log out of the UM Account Management site.
- Close all Internet browser windows.
Additional Information: UM PIN Help
The UM PIN is not your Password. The UM PIN is used in place of the last 4 digits of a Social Security Number to verify a user’s identity if a user does not have a Social Security Number associated with their account, or does not wish to provide that information.
If you do not know your UM PIN, use the following directions to have a UM PIN emailed to you.
- Go to the UMB Account Management site.
- Click on the New User, Set Up Account link. Do not fill out any of the requested information yet.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on the UM PIN Help button to access the UM PIN Help Site.
- Enter one of the following values in the UMID field and click on the “Submit” button.
OneCard Customer Number
14-digit number found on the back of a UM One Card
‘@’ sign followed by 8 numbers
Employee ID/ Person ID
- Verify the email address displayed and click on the Reset PIN & Email button.
- Close the UM PIN window.
You should receive a “UM PIN Reset” email message from the Help Desk with your UM PIN in a few minutes.
- Once you receive your UM PIN, you will be able to verify your identity in Step 2 (page 2 of these instructions) and continue the process to set up your UMID and Password.
If you need assistance with obtaining your UM PIN, contact the IT Help Desk at 410-706-HELP (4357) or email us.
For more information about Creating a UMID and Password, call the IT Help Desk at 410-706-HELP (4357), or send an email.