How do I setup my iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad to read my GoogleApps@UMaryland e-mail?
Requirements and Backing Up Data
1. Google Sync is only supported on Apple iOS versions 3.0 and above. You can check your current version by going to Settings > General > About > Version. If you're running an iOS before 3.0, upgrade to the latest iOS on Apple's site: http://www.apple.com/ios/ before setting up Google Sync.
2. Perform a sync with iTunes to ensure that Contacts and Calendars from your iOS device are backed up to your computer. Learn more about backing up your Contacts and Calendars.
3. If your business, school, or organization uses Google Apps, your administrator will need to have Google Sync enabled before you can take advantage of this feature. Note that after you set up Google Sync, your administrator may also have additional device management capabilities (such as remote wipe or password requirements). Click to learn more or contact your administrator.
1. Open the Settings application on your device's home screen.
2. Open Mail, Contacts, Calendars.
3. Press Add Account....
4. Select Microsoft Exchange. iOS 4.0+ allows multiple Exchange accounts. However, if you're on a device that doesn't let you add a second account, you could also use CalDAV to sync Google Calendar and IMAP to sync Gmail.
Enter Account Info
5. In the Email field, enter your full GoogleApps@UMaryland email address. If you use an @googlemail.com address, you may see an "Unable to verify certificate" warning when you proceed to the next step.
6. Leave the Domain field blank.
7. Enter your full GoogleApps@UMaryland email address as the Username.
8. Enter your myUM password as the Password.
Notes about passwords:
- Be sure that you have a strong password for your Google Account.
- If you see an error message saying "Invalid Password", you may need to unlock your account by solving a short CAPTCHA. Go to https://www.google.com/accounts/UnlockCaptcha.
- If you are a 2-step verification user, please use an application-specific password instead of your regular password in this field.
9. Tap Next at the top of your screen.
9a. Choose Cancel if the Unable to Verify Certificate dialog appears.
10. When the new Server field appears, enter m.google.com.
11. Press Next at the top of your screen again.
Set up "Send Mail As" feature (Optional)
Gmail and Google Apps users can send mail from a custom "From" address using the web browser on their iOS device or computer.
- Sign in to Gmail using your web browser.
- Click the gear icon in the upper-right and select Settings and select the Accounts tab.
- Under Send mail as, click Add another email address you own.
- In the 'Email address' field, enter your name and alternate email address.
- Use Gmail's servers to send your mail.
- Click Next Step >> and then click Send Verification. Gmail will send a verification message to your other email address to confirm that you own it.
- Open your other account and either click the link in the message Gmail sent or enter the confirmation code in the Accounts section of your Gmail settings.
For additional info and alternate directions for Google Apps customers, see Sending mail from a different address.
Additionally, Gmail and Google Apps users can send mail from their iOS mail app using a custom "From" address. To enable this feature, do the following:
- On your iOS device, go to m.google.com/sync.
- Select your device and check Enable "Send Mail As" for this device
If you accidentally delete a message that you didn't mean to delete, you can find it by signing in to your Gmail or Google Apps account in a web browser and going to the Trash. By default, the Trash is emptied from Gmail every 30 days.
Enable Mail and Calendar
12. Select the Google services (Mail, Calendar, and Contacts) you want to sync. To receive and respond to meeting requests on your device, both Mail and Calendar need to be turned on, and New events needs to be enabled in your Google Calendar settings.
To enable 'New events', sign in to your Google Calendar using the web browser on your phone or computer. Go to Calendar Settings > Calendars > Click on the Notifications for the calendar you want to sync. Under Email check 'New events' (and any of the other Invitation settings you want enabled e.g. changed events, cancelled events, event responses), and click Save.
13. Unless you want to delete all the existing Contacts and Calendars on your phone, select the Keep on my iPhone (or iPad or iPod touch) option when prompted. This will also allow you to keep syncing with your computer via iTunes.
If you want to sync only the My Contacts group, you must choose to Delete Existing Contacts during the Google Sync install when prompted. If you choose to keep existing contacts, it will sync the contents of the All Contacts group instead. If there are no contacts on your phone, the latter will happen -- the contents of your All Contacts group will be synced.
You've set up Google Sync! Synchronization will begin automatically if you have Push enabled on your device. You can also open the Mail, Calendar, or Contacts app and wait a few seconds to start a sync.
Next see Using Google Sync with iOS Calendar.
Experiencing setup or sync issues? See the Known Issues page.