- Academic Affairs
- Accountability and Compliance
- Administration and Finance
- Center for Health and Homeland Security
- Center for Information Technology Services
- Communications and Public Affairs
- Community Engagement
- Government Affairs
- Human Resource Services
- Office of Philanthropy
- Operations and Planning
- Police and Public Safety
- President's Office
- Research and Development
- University Counsel
Tweets by @umbgogreen
'Food, Inc.' Quiz Answers
In November, the UMB Go Green and the Wellness Hub held a screening of “Food, Inc,” a documentary that “reveals surprising—and often shocking truths” about where our food comes from and how it’s produced.
If you missed the screening or would like a refresher course and took the quiz, here are the answers to the following true/false statements based on “Food, Inc.” facts:
True or False: ANSWERS
1. TRUE: The modern supermarket stocks, on average, 47,000 products, most of which are being produced by only a handful of food companies.
2. TRUE: In the 1970s, the top five beef packers controlled about 25 percent of the market. Today, the top four control more than 80 percent of the market.
3. FALSE: The average American eats over 20 lbs. of meat per year.
The average American eats over 200 lbs. of meat per year.
4. TRUE: The average chicken farmer (with two poultry houses) invests over $500,000 and makes only $18,000 a year.
5. FALSE: In 1972, the FDA conducted 50,000 food safety inspections. In 2006, the FDA only conducted 75,000.
In 1972, the FDA conducted 50,000 food safety inspections. In 2006, the FDA only conducted 9,164.
6. TRUE: E. coli and salmonella outbreaks have become more frequent in America. In 2007, there were 73,000 people sickened by E. coli bacteria.
7. FALSE: According to Kevin’s Law, the USDA could shut down plants that repeatedly produced contaminated meat. After being taken to court by the meat and poultry associations, the USDA still has this power.
The USDA no longer has the power to shut down plants that produce contaminated meat.
8. TRUE: Prior to renaming itself an agribusiness company, Monsanto was a chemical company that produced, among other things, DDT and Agent Orange.
9. FALSE: About 10 percent of processed foods have some genetically modified ingredient.
About 70 percent of processed foods have some genetically modified ingredient.
10. TRUE: Organics are the fastest growing food area, increasing 20 percent annually.
11. FALSE: According to the American Diabetes Association, one in 10 Americans born after 2000 will contract early onset diabetes.
One in three Americans born after 2000 will contract early onset diabetes.