- Academic Affairs
- Accountability and Compliance
- Administration and Finance
- Center for Health and Homeland Security
- Center for Information Technology Services
- Communications and Public Affairs
- Community Engagement
- Government Affairs
- Human Resource Services
- Office of Philanthropy
- Operations and Planning
- Police and Public Safety
- President's Office
- Research and Development
- University Counsel
Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC)
Institutional Biosafety Committee
An IBC is required for institutions receiving funding from the National Institutes of Health (NIH) for research involving recombinant or synthetic nucleic acid molecules. If your research involves the use of recombinant or synthetic nucleic acid molecules as described by the NIH Guidelines, human blood/tissue, pathogens, or potentially pathogenic material, you must register your project with the IBC. The IBC will review your submission and advise you of its findings.
The IBC meets monthly, usually on the first Friday of every month. The submission deadline for inclusion in a meeting is two weeks before the meeting. Please see this calendar for exact dates.
More information on IBC procedures can be found in the IBC Charter.
Registering an IBC Protocol Using CICERO
Research protocols are registered with the IBC using the online CICERO system.
Click here to login to CICERO. If you have not created an account, we may have created one for you. Try your campus email address as your username and 1234 as your password. If you get a message that you are an invalid user, you should create an account by following these directions:
- Go to the right section of this webpage: http://cicero.umaryland.edu and click Create Login Account.
- Under Requested Roles, click Principal Investigator or Researcher.
- Indicate that you will need IBC and/or RSC modules (and any others you may need).
- Enter all other required information and click Register at the bottom right section of the page.
Please note that all staff on your projects will need CICERO accounts. Please pass these directions on to your staff.