International Travel Resources

Tips and reminders for your trip abroad

Students should review the Student Pre-departure Checklist‌ for information on preparation and safety when traveling internationally.

UMB's Global Medical and Security Assistance Program

Faculty, students, staff, and other individuals traveling on University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB) business are required to register their international travel plans and furnish updated emergency contact information using the International SOS medical and travel security assistance service. This service is used for travel on UMB business only, whether or not travel will be reimbursed by UMB. Access this service via:

International SOS Training resources:

U.S. citizens are strongly encouraged to register with the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program.

Contact Bonnie Bissonette at the Center for Global Education Initiatives with questions regarding international safety and security services.

*International SOS cards also are available from the Center for Global Education Initiatives in the third-floor Campus Life Services suite at the SMC Campus Center.

Arranging your travel and logistics

Travel plans should be made reasonably in advance of your travel dates.

Passports and visas

  • Ensure that your U.S. passport is valid to at least six months after your return to the United States and check the visa requirements for each country you are visiting or traveling through U.S. Department of State passport information
  • UMB travel agents can assist with visa and passport processing services (providing applications or referrals to visa service agencies). Foreign consulates and embassies based in the United States often grant visas to people who live within a specific U.S. region. If you choose this option, it is highly recommended that you visit the foreign embassy or consulate’s website within the jurisdiction of your permanent residence. Visa requirements may vary, so be sure you have the correct paperwork and follow the instructions of that particular embassy or consulate. Here is a list of international consulates and embassies in the United States.