The Who, What, When, Where and How
of Applying for Financial Aid

Federal School Code:  002104

As a student, you must take responsibility for your own financial aid:

  • Meet all deadlines.  Do not miss out on valuable resources by missing deadlines!
  • Respond quickly to all correspondence.  Check your University e-mail address on a regular basis as this is how our office will notify you of any changes to your financial aid awards.
  • Be aware that some private scholarships require a separate application.


Any student, who is a U.S. Citizen or an eligible Non-Citizen, is eligible to receive federal financial aid!  For more information about non-citizen eligibility or alternative loan options for non-citizens, please click here.


The University requires that students file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each year they wish to be considered for federal aid.  When filing the FAFSA , you will have the option to indicate that you are interested in being considered for any or all of the following:

  • Loans
  • Grants/Scholarships
  • Work Study


The 2013-2014 FAFSA is available now!  UMB has a priority award date of March 1, 2013 and students should file before this date.  Students may complete the FAFSA after the priority award date; however, due to limited resources, funds from certain programs may not be available. Maryland residents should file before March 1, 2013 in order to be eligible for Maryland State Scholarships.


The fastest way to file a FAFSA is online.  Students who have never filed a FAFSA or who have filed but do not remember their Personal Identification Number (PIN), should first register/reapply for a PIN.

Students who wish to file a paper FAFSA may call Federal Student Aid Information at 1-800-4-FED-AID and request an application be mailed.


When you file the 2013-2014 FAFSA, you will need income records, your tax return and various other documents.

All students will need:

  • Social security number
  • 2012 W2 forms and any other record of money earned
  • Driver's license (if any)
  • 2012 federal income tax return
  • 2012 untaxed income records (if any)
  • Current bank statements and mortgage and investment records (if any)
  • Alien registration card (if not a U.S. Citizen)
  • UMB's Federal School Code - 002104

Dependent students and students enrolled in the Schools of Dentistry and Pharmacy* will need the following parental information in addition to the above:

  • Social security number(s)
  • 2012 W2 forms and any other record of money earned
  • 2012 federal income tax return
  • 2012 untaxed income records (if any)
  • Current bank statements and mortgage and investment records (if any)

*This information is required of Dentistry and Pharmacy students interested in receiving the Health Professions Loan.  Eligibility for this loan requires the verification of both student and parent federal tax documents.  Submitting this information will not affect the status of students who are independent and will not affect their eligibility for other aid.

Tips for FAFSA Completion

Are you in a health professions program (dentistry or pharmacy)?
There are low interest loans and some grants available to health professions students; however, both student and parental information are required by law in order to determine student eligibility.  If you would like to be considered for these awards, you must complete step four of the FAFSA.

Are you interested in work study?
Answer “yes” and enter "1" for question 31 on the FAFSA.

Are you an undergraduate nursing, dental hygiene or medical technology student?
If it is your first year at UMB, the answer to question 29 should be “3.”  If it is your second year, the answer should be “4.”  If it is your third year, the answer should be “5.”

Are you a naturalized citizen?
Answer “1” to question 14. Do not provide your alien registration number.